Concerns with Sediment in secondary for long term aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I racked my RIS into secondary. Thought I did a better job racking as it didn't look cloudy and when all the liquid was transferred the cane was just above the cake. However there's about 1/2" of compact sediment in the bottom of my secondary. I'm putting in bourbon oak cubes and plan on 6 months of aging. Do I need to be concerned with off flavors or issues with this long of aging.

I could re rack into my other 5 gal secondary but id rather not as that increases further chance of contaminants and oxidation.

Probably depends on the style, but I did just have a witbier in secondary for nine months with no ill-effect on the flavor.

I would rack off a bottle to compare later, and keep moving forward. For science.

Do I need to be concerned with off flavors or issues with this long of aging.

There are always going to be some yeast and sediment even in the secondary. To the question above, there's no need to worry. There is probably more chance of damage to your beer if you were to rack it again in a month then just letting it sit. Yeast autolysis is more likely in a commercial brew setting where the yeast cake is sitting underneath thousands of pounds of pressure. This hasn't been shown to happen in a home brew situation.

Latest posts

Back