will this pump self prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .02, or at least what I've learned...assuming you want to move wort with this. I know this isn't what you're asking, but..

Any pump that is not a mag drive or has enclosed wetted elements risks being a "dirty" pump. Meaning whatever liquids go thru it will touch the greased elements of the impeller/shaft assembly directly. I looked into several "marine" grade pumps that were stainless and looked like they could take boiling... manufacturer stated "well, I wouldn't advise that at all with food products". Just cause it's stated use is 'hot water' doesn't mean it's food grade.

For all that matter, even Little Giant doesn't rate their mag drive pumps as food grade, even though they really are. The reason they gave is that when they assemble the enclosed wetted components, they drop a tiny bit of non-food grade lube just to aid assembly- which washes off after first use.

Your question sounds like one for the manufacturer... and then you can ask them about moving edible liquids thru it. Good luck.

This pump is not a magnetic drive pump so you will not be able to restrict the output with a valve. The pump is definitely not self priming.

no, using for glycol. no plans on restricting the end... so what makes a pump self priming?

Back