My first infection... what to do... keg? bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
:( Was about to keg my batch of Scotch Ale and i noticed a layer of something on top so i popped the top off since I am about to keg anyways. Gross! All 5 gallons (split between 2 mr beer fermentors) are infected.

If it doesn't taste too nasty and I want to keg it will it infect my keg system?

If it can't be kegged I will bottle it if it doesn't taste too bad. (I'm afraid to taste it) Otherwise I might have to dump. :'(

infected.jpg

keg it. if you bottle, you might have some bombs. Whatever is growing there will keep eating the sugar in the beer if left at room temps.

I can't get a glass without a few white flakes in it... it doesn't taste too bad but it doesn't taste good.

Do I have to throw out the fermentors too?

:( Was about to keg my batch of Scotch Ale and i noticed a layer of something on top so i popped the top off since I am about to keg anyways. Gross! All 5 gallons (split between 2 mr beer fermentors) are infected.

If it doesn't taste too nasty and I want to keg it will it infect my keg system?

If it can't be kegged I will bottle it if it doesn't taste too bad. (I'm afraid to taste it) Otherwise I might have to dump. :'(

Dump it - life's too short for bad beer.

any thoughts where infection came from?

I would bleach the **** out of all plastics. If it pops up again, toss all plastics.

I have no idea where the infection came from. Maybe I got too wreckless since I havee been brewing for about 2 yrs without infection.

But I agree with lifes too short for bad beer. Even if this beer doesn't taste too bad I will always picture the horrible white fuzzy layer on top, there's no way I could drink it or give it to a friend.

I do, and I've never had an issue with it but the house I moved into has drippy water and often grows mold in the sinks, so that could be it! Looks like I need to grab some gallon jugs.

or just boil it night before, cover and next day (brew day) - move it into your sanitized fermenter.
People obviously top off w unboiled water post boil, but I firmly believe that everyrhing post-boil that touches wort should be sanitized. Bottled water included. [puts flame suit on]. There have been ~100 recalls of dirty bottled water- it is not publized much.
anyways, good luck w your next batch!!

Latest posts

Back