My WB-06 experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
I was attracted to the necessity of dry yeast. Fermentis WB-06 brings the promise of a decent Hefeweizen beer in a convenient yeast package. I myself have wonder, and ventured to experience this yeast on several occasions by committing a good 9-13lbs of grains/5 gallon batch. As spring is coming, I had brewed a wheatbock with this yeast. As others have posted their results, here is mine.

My wheat beer is 60.0% Weyerman wheat, and 37.6% Canadian 2-row, and 2.35% Carafa special II. I went cheap and added an appropriate amount of Galena in the first 90mins of the boil. The February apartment temperature was 20C (68F). Extensive mash schedule aside, OG = 1.072. Final gravity at the end of the 3 weeks fermentation and conditioning = 1.014. Its April now. The beer has cold conditioned in my fridge of freezing temperature for around a month only. This is my verdict: Nice plum raisin and fruity flavour, slightly tart. Clean yet alcoholic at 7.7%. No trace of bubble gum or paint solvent. I thank God for the unattenuative nature of this yeast, which made my beer mature yet clear.

I used two packs of 11.5g of yeast in this 20 litre batch. Why underpitch for good wort?

That is very unlike the results I got from my rye-wheat. It finished very dry, almost tart. No clove, no plum, no bubble-gum, no banana. I am drinking one right now, and its ok, but I was hoping for some yeast flavors to complement the rye. Glad yours turned out good.

I consider this a bottling strain for any wheat beer that I want to drink. If not rapidly removed from the cake, all of the fruit flavors seem to be replaced with autolysis flavors. This seems like a "wild type" yeast IMHO.

Latest posts

Back