I need critique and advice on all grain American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jking108

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first all grain batch and plan to batch sparge in a converted 10g cooler. (this is a 5g batch)

I've run the math through beersmith to get all of the temps but I've never done it so I don't know what kind of efficiency I'll get out of the process. I'm going to estimate 50% for my first go at this and buy far more grain than I might need. My plan is to mash until I get the desired OG.

14lb Pale Malt 2 Row
1lb Oats, Flaked
1lb Black Patent
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Crystal

1.75oz Centennial (60min)
.50 oz Cascade (10min)
.25 oz Centennial (10 min)

I expect to get 1.060 OG
61.8 IBU
41.5 SRM (slightly dark but I'll take it)
6.0 ABV

According to the math I'll mash in with 24.45 qt of 166.1 degree water for 60 min

Thoughts? Comments?

that's way to much black patent i would cut that in half and add a lb flaked barley and a little roasted barley. for total efficiency i would go with 67 your mash efficiency should be around 71 Is this for an imperial stout

I agree to the above and would mash with 1.25qts/lb of grain. In addition you want your mash temp to be 150-152, not 166 unless that was your strike temp and expect it to drop to what I suggest.

sorry, that is mash at 152 but strike would be 166

thanks for the advice

I'd suggest you plan for closer to 70% efficiency and reduce the grain bill for that. With the proper crush and the right temperature you should be close to that efficiency. Reduce the black patent and chocolate malts too as those have powerful flavors and tend to overpower the other flavors.

I would buy grain like you were going to get 60% efficiency and keep light extract on hand in case it was less. Or buy grain assuming 50% and be totally cool with potentially wildly overshooting your gravity. I'd switch the amounts of chocolate and black patent, but I like my stouts pretty stout. When you mash in, make sure your cooler is preheated, or you'll lose about ten degrees of heat right there. Use about 85% of your water, stir for a couple of minutes to make sure you're doughball-free and that everything is evenly distributed, then check the temp in several spots. Always nice to have a half-gallon or so each of boiling and ice-cold water in case you have to adjust your temp.

Latest posts

Back