Hops and Mango

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo1069

Reaction score
The wife wants me to make a mango beer. I am thinking either a blonde or American wheat would pair nice with the mango flavor. I need some suggestions on what hops you all would pair with this. It's obviously going to be a low IBU beer. I was throwing around trying all citra, but I have never used it before. Would it be too overpowering?

I was also thinking of cascade for bittering and some centennial at the end?

What do you all think?

Yeah, I'd say Citra - "tropical fruit" is often one of the descriptions. I did a Citra Wheat that turned out nicely (wife keeps bugging me to make it again).

Thanks everyone! I think I will try out citra.... been looking for an excuse to use it anyway.

Coconut sounds amazing as well! Any chance you would be willing to share the recipe?

Town Hall in Minneapolis, does a mango infusion with their Masala Mama IPA, which I think includes, Cascade/Centennial/Amarillo/Mt Hood. I haven't had the mango one but i've had the base Masala Mama and could see how mango would go really great with it.
Good luck.

Grain Extract 5.3 lb Amber LME, 1 lb Amber DME

Cracked Grain 1 LB 2-Row, 1/2 lb Honey Wheat, 1/2 lb Crystal 20,
1/2 lb Light Wheat

Adjuncts In Secondary - 750ml Coconut Rum, 3lbs mango, 1/2 lb
shaved unsweetened coconut

Hopps 1 oz. Citra (60 min),1/2 oz. Cascade (30 min), 1/2 oz Cascade (2 min)

Yeast 1 pack Nottingham

Priming 5/8 cup corn sugar

Peeled mango and put in freezer then vacuum sealed it and let it sit out to thaw.
Pasturized mango in 160* water for 20 min.
Toasted coconut at 350 for 30 min. and then put in a mesh bag and put in secondary
to help keep oils from mixing with beer. Dumped mango in and poured 750ml
coconut rum on top. Then racked beer ontop of it.

What was your boil volume and grain steeping temp?

Do you think adding any coconut to either the mash or boil would give more flavor as well as the adding to secondary?

What made you do just 3 pounds of the mango? Anything more to overpowering?

Back