Secondary fermentation help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel-City-Owl

Reaction score
Hello everyone first post on here and a real noob.
I thought I'd like to try brewing my own beer and am currently on my third batch, all just extract kits. I did a coopers European lager which sat in the fermenter for a couple of weeks then I bottled it after three hydrometer readings. Instead of leaving it in the bottles at room temp for a week or two I just put them straight in the fridge. So my questions are, will I have halted the secondary fermentation and if so would it restart if I bring them back to room temp?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be really appreciated.

There is no real "secondary fermentation". The beer ferments and then clears. What you have done though is halted carbonation of the beer. It needs 2-3 weeks at 70* for them to fully carbonate. Then it is best for them to be chilled for a day or so to get the co2 into solution.

Pull them out of the fridge let them warm up and sit for 2 weeks. Check one after a week to make sure they are carbonating. You should be fine.

^^^ what he said. The way bottle carbonation works is that the yeast still in suspension in the beer (even though you can't see them) eat the sugar you added when you bottled (you did that, right? its usually called priming), releasing CO2 and carbonating your beer. When you put the bottles in the fridge, you made the yeast too cold to work, so they went to sleep.

Back