Double IPA The Prospector - Black DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
4 quarts of slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 65F
Tasting Notes
Less than subtle roast with some light and dark fruit character; slightly boozy
18# Maris Otter (88.9%)
1.25# Home-made Deep Amber Syrup (6.2%)
1# Blackprinz (4.9%)

Overnight (12 hour) mash starting at 150F to try and get the FG down
Reheat to 160F for 10min
Mashout at 170F
Collected 8 gallons for 2G/hr boil-off
Amber syrup at start of boil

2.5oz Nugget (13% AA, 99.7 IBU) - 60 minutes, FWH
3.0oz Nugget (13% AA, 27 IBU) - whirlpool 15 minutes
1.0oz Nelson Sauvin (12% AA, 8.3 IBU) - whirlpool 15 minutes
0.5oz Pacific Jade (13% AA, 4.5 IBU) - whirlpool 15 minutes
0.5oz Centennial (10% AA, 3.5 IBU) - whirlpool 15 minutes

65% brewhouse efficiency as planned (1.085 OG); 6 gallons collected to account for hop-related losses
Ferment with US-05 at 65F for three weeks

3.0oz Nugget (13% AA) - dryhop, 5 days
2.0oz Centennial (10% AA) - dryhop, 5 days

---

I haven't brewed a lot of IPAs and this is my first go at a DIPA. This uses ~12 ounces of hops and comes out at around 9-10% ABV. For the hop schedule I didn't split up hop additions into 5 or 10 minute intervals but just went with a good FWH addition, whirlpool, and dryhop.

Taste-wise there's a few levels to it: a pound of blackprinz gives more than just color while the amber syrup adds dark fruit and the hops add lighter melon-like flavor. The bitterness plays well with the roast.

Despite the overnight mash and sugar it doesn't feel like it finished out too dry but isn't overly sweet and barleywine-like that some DIPAs end up as. A little alcoholic heat but the BrewPi setup I run kept it under control. It's easy to have a few pints of this.

This was brewed up and dry hopped just in time for summer party. One gallon has been set aside to bottle and age.

CExA2WLVIAA1aSC.jpg

I'm having a Founder's Dark Penance right now and they're both in the same direction taste-wise: definite roast character in a strong IPA, but DP comes across much harsher as it warms up and the roast is much less soft.

Latest posts

Back