Hawaiian style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy82

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a java porter, I want to add coconut. I've heard that coconut has a lot of oils which will mess up the head retention. I am planning to toast the coconut to reduce some of the oils. My question is how much coconut should I use? Any suggestions will be great! Thanks

I am planning on brewing a java porter, I want to add coconut. I've heard that coconut has a lot of oils which will mess up the head retention. I am planning to toast the coconut to reduce some of the oils. My question is how much coconut should I use? Any suggestions will be great! Thanks

Off hand I couldn't say, but this has been talked about in the past. Try using the search and I'm sure your question will be answered.

I just did a coconut beer and I toasted 3 lbs of unsweetened coconut flakes and added it to the secondary and it came out awesome. It is a tad more "coconutty" than Kona Brew. Co. coconut beer, but not to the point where it is overdone. I know a lot of guys stick with 2lbs becuase they dont want it to be too much. The coconut flavor will lessen over time as well.

I will say, it does not have a lot of head to it, but it has enough to be beer:) I also added .5lb of red wheat to it to help with the head.

I did a coconut black ipa awhile ago. i toasted a pound of unsweetened organic coconut and threw it in the mash...the coconut flavor came out very balanced, and had a nice aroma.

I would also throw in a pound of Flaked Oats to help with the head retention. If you toast em its even better.

Doesn't light toasted oak chips/cubes give off some coconut flavors also? Something to think about

Read the discussion and the results of the experiment with Freeze Filtration in this coconut wine thread.

The info on the process begins in my post #7 There's a video in post 8.

It's also been done to create an essence of bacon to make bacon flavored icecreams and vodkas. You get all the fermentables without the fats.

Thanks everyone!! I'll let y'all knw how it comes out :) today is my one year mark as a home brewer!

Back