What's up with Belgian beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not the first thread with people stating their example of a style "blows away" the best of commercial examples.

With only a handful of American breweries making great Belgians maybe you guys should do some consulting with all the rest and straighten them out. Or at least post some instructions/how-to threads over at probrewer forum. I wouldn't mind my local brew pub having a great triple on tap.

Houblon,

Before you get all high and mighty, may I suggest that you read up on belgian styles.

1. With the possible exception of lambics and the like that benefit from a delicate balance between the indigenous yeasts/bacteria, there is no reason that an equally good or superior belgian style beer can't be made at home. You may prefer those that come from belgian, but that is only your opinion. An opinion, I suspect, that has resulted from the fact that you've never brewed a high quality belgian or that you like to buy expensive beer in the store. Personally, I've brewed belgians that were preferred by my friends and family when tried in a blind test next to some of the best examples of that style. I'm not saying I'm awesome. I'm just saying it is possible to make them at home.

2. I agree that sugar is needed in many belgian styles such as tripel. However, the crystallized stuff they sell to us in the homebrew store is not what the belgians traditionally used. According to Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing, the sugar syrups traditionally used are not commercially available (I actually think they may be now), but can be made on the stovetop from white sugar and water. I know you disagree, but Randy is a pretty smart guy who has spent a lot of time researching all of this.

3. Spices are not required in the vast majority of belgian styles - at least as described by the BJCP. I don't argue that the BJCP is the end all, be all descriptor for belgian beers, but they have done a pretty good job of classifying the major styles. When it is appropriate (only in witbier, saison, specialty) they should not be the dominant characteristic and should only support the yeast and malt character.

EDIT: I should clarify that I have been to Belgium and have tried many beers there.

I completely disagree with 2. Randy is a smart guy but he is not a chemist and he is wrong on that point. There is a member on these forums here who has started a company making belgian candi syrup (see http://www.candisyrup.com). He's done extensive research working with a food chemist using a gas chromatograph to measure the compounds present in authentic belgian sugars and comparing them with syrups made in the US and at home and has concluded that they are not at all the same. He claims have discovered the maillard catalyst he believes the Belgians use and says that it must be done in a lab under and is not possible to replicate on the stovetop. Having tried to make my own belgian candi syrup and having tasted the authentic syrups from Belgium, I agree with him. My sister is also a food chemist and I've talked to her a bit about maillard reactions and I've learned that there is a lot more to it than heating cane sugar on a stove.

I have come to terms with the fact that I will never make the best Belgian style beer in the world, unless of course I am the judge. Wait a minute, come to think of it, I am the judge of what beer I like best.

I brewed the Rochefort 8 clone recipe that is on this site, it is made with dark candied crystals from my LHBS, I absolutely love it. Could I spend years making it better? Of course. Do i consider that endeavor worth my time? No, I will leave good enough alone because I have many other aspects of my life that I would rather pursue to perfection.

Back