Why does my beer tasted mettallic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I just opened one of my bottles and it has a mettallic taste and no head. I was just interested in finding out why that's happened? The beer was bottled about on 4 weeks ago and all the other bottles have been fine. This is my first batch so I'm keen to learn all I can and was hoping this might be something interesting... :cross:

corrention: why does my beer taste metallic? :drunk:

From Palmer:

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

If all the other bottles are fine, maybe that bottle just wasn't capped properly.

I'd have to agree. If you say all the others were fine it would have to have been something that went wrong with the capping of that one bottle. More than likely some breach in what ever protective surface they use on their under sides, or it corroded through that coating (perhaps it wasn't crimped just right). I actually will not use the caps that come with the kits. I get the O2 absorbing caps in the 140 count bag because: beer tends to sit around awhile and they just seem like better caps when you look at them.

BillTheSlink

Cheers guy, I presume there was a problem with the cap. Good to know, I'll be sure to check the caps and be careful when capping the bottles.

I had some bottles get a "gusher bug" (before I learned that you need to BOTH clean and sanitize your bottles) and there was a period when it took on a "sharp" taste that could have been described as metallic. Anyway, if you're just getting started, this sounds like a good opportunity to listen to the BrewStrong podcasts on both cleaning and sanitizing, if you haven't already done so.

Back