forgot to prime- but came out perfect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druegeme

Reaction score
Hi,

something weird -but good- happened and I would appreciate people's comments to a possible explanation..

I was making a 5 gal batch of 'helles' with 8lb LME and 0.5lb honey malt for steeping, pretty straightforward, pitched it with whitelabs california ale.

Everything according to plan, good fermentation around 68deg for 12 days, then bottled.

Next day my wife asked me what is up with that saucepan with water in it on the stove... Ooops! That was the corn sugar mixed with water I had boiled up to prime before bottling. But I had forgotten.

Nonetheless, after 3 wk lagering at room temp, decided to chill a couple of bottles and try. Surprise: excellent carbonation, great head and retention, actually one of the best beers I have made.

What happened? how can it be carbonated without having added priming sugar??

Any beers not in the fridge should be put into a container with a lid incase you get any bottle bombs.

ok thanks guys... I guess I got lucky on this one. It is really good though. Good thing I'm not a closed system myself and gas can escape without causing (major) explosions.

Back