K-Meta Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bush_84

Reaction score
Ok I understand that campden prevents oxidation as well as contamination. I just wanted to get a few finer details straight. I have also seen it referred plenty of times in reference to stabilizing the yeast. Will this alone actually prevent fermentation from starting again? Why do people use in along with sorbate? I have seen multiple people state that it prevents the off taste of sorbate when used in conjunction, is this true? Also if it can be used as a stabilizer then why do people add it to their must 24 hours before pitching yeast when adding fruit/making mead (wouldn't that mess with fermentation)? Does this only prevent bacterial contamination and completely leave yeast alone?

Thanks to whoever answers all my questions. :)

:tank:

So what I gather from that, is that k-meta doesn't actually do anything with the yeast, but prevents bacterial contamination/oxidation and you require the sorbate to beat down the yeasties.

What about the taste of sorbate? I've seen people state that k-meta prevents the off taste of k-meta.

k-meta, in conjunction with sorbate will inhibit renewed fermentation but will not stop an active fermentation. I'd be more concerned about of flavors with sorbate than k-meta though neither should be a problem as long as you don't add to much or drink it too early.

Back