Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No help from Geek Squad. Had issue escalated throughout customer service and they even got both the Best Buy and Geek Squad managers on the phone. It came down to a technicality that since my computer will in fact boot up, despite the fact it won't go any further than an error screen.. that they are not at fault. They were generous enough to offer me their $250 tech support membership for $60 though. **** you. I'll find someone competent.

Try linustechtips forum.

Also, check all the wiring inside the PC to make sure everything is correctly connected and fully seated. It may be as simple as a loose wire from the power supply

Can you boot enough to be able to enter BIOS?

Can you boot enough to be able to enter BIOS?

I think so.

I'd argue the fact that they modified the OS that won't load.

They are claiming it was a simple hardware install and are not at fault. They really did just plug in a funking fan. I would've done it myself, but I thought it had to be uninstalled, unplugged from motherboard, reseated and hit with thermal paste etc.. Instead, paid them to rip it apart despite asking for a quote and explanation first.

I should've tucked tail and ran when I saw the gray-haired war vet as a tech. He had no idea what was going on.

They are claiming it was a simple hardware install and are not at fault. They really did just plug in a funking fan. I would've done it myself, but I thought it had to be uninstalled, unplugged from motherboard, reseated and hit with thermal paste etc.. Instead, paid them to rip it apart despite asking for a quote and explanation first.

I should've tucked tail and ran when I saw the gray-haired war vet as a tech. He had no idea what was going on.

Ahh, I misunderstood the line "I'm getting Windows 10 upgrade for $10 so the computer will be running fine for $100." as being a GS installed upgrade.

Ahh, I misunderstood the line "I'm getting Windows 10 upgrade for $10 so the computer will be running fine for $100." as being a GS installed upgrade.

Oh, nah. Just pissed because it ran fine before they banged around in it.
Now I just need to decipher what actually needs to be done to make it work again.

/rant

Oh, nah. Just pissed because it ran fine before they banged around in it.
Now I just need to decipher what actually needs to be done to make it work again.

/rant

Hardest part about troubleshooting a PC, is having another pc/device with internet to research issues. Before tablets, and being a single PC home, I was fukt.

Note the error code, look it up, and you'll be sorted out in no time. Plus not be so dinged for cash and be a little bit more familiar with PC. Best part of DIY PC repair is the manager is always there and always pays for bless ups. ;)

Hardest part about troubleshooting a PC, is having another pc/device with internet to research issues. Before tablets, and being a single PC home, I was fukt.

Yeah, well the whole point of paying someone to do it.. was that I just don't want to deal with it. I hate computers. This one in particular has been the biggest headache since the first time it was delivered to me in pieces. Computers and cars. I'll pay someone to do it, but I trust the people taking my money know wtf they are doing. In this case, not so much. I'll just continue to shame them on social media until they at least acknowledge it. I didn't want a refund, or free stuff.. just advice as to what I needed to do to fix it.

Also, no error code.. just this:

10mj4v4.jpg

My computer says hardware or software. They say it's obviously a software issue since they only installed a fan. So.. guess in the 10 minutes it took me to pay their fee's, drive it home and plug it in.. the software fairy monster came and changed something.

Yeah, well the whole point of paying someone to do it.. was that I just don't want to deal with it. I hate computers. This one in particular has been the biggest headache since the first time it was delivered to me in pieces. Computers and cars. I'll pay someone to do it, but I trust the people taking my money know wtf they are doing. In this case, not so much. I'll just continue to shame them on social media until they at least acknowledge it. I didn't want a refund, or free stuff.. just advice as to what I needed to do to fix it.

Also, no error code.. just this:

10mj4v4.jpg

My computer says hardware or software. They say it's obviously a software issue since they only installed a fan. So.. guess in the 10 minutes it took me to pay their fee's, drive it home and plug it in.. the software fairy monster came and changed something.

That error happens whenever a PC is shut down incorrectly. Such as disconnecting the power while its running. Just run the diagnostic and repair, it'll automatically run and then start up windows.

More than likely what happened was the tech started it up to test the fan and then just held down the power button to turn it off without going through the actual shut down. It shouldn't have hurt anything.

Ya.. what happens when you go through the message? Just try to start normally and go from there.

If I try to start it, it goes to a black screen with the mouse cursor active. Nothing can be done from there.

If I run the repair, it says something about there being nothing to fix or it couldn't fix it.

If I try to reset the system to a previous version that worked, it says there were no updates so there is no previous version to revert back to.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? Sometimes black screen after startup can be a driver issue. Spam F8 or whatever after POST and select startup in safe mode.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? Sometimes black screen after startup can be a driver issue. Spam F8 or whatever after POST and select startup in safe mode.

I have not. Will give that a shot when I get home, thank you. If that is all it takes to get the damn thing running again, I'll send you beer :rockin:

It's probably not, but when it comes to boot issues I just try everything and something eventually randomly makes it work.

It's probably not, but when it comes to boot issues I just try everything and something eventually randomly makes it work.

I'm normally pretty good at tinkering with stupid issues like this, but I think the fact that it was fine until they touched it is really clouding my judgement.

Heard it could possibly be an error caused by a loose stick of RAM. Anyone know if that is plausible? If that is the case, an easy fix for sure.. and even more angering that they would fight tooth and nail with me about it not being their fault. My RAM sticks are located right underneath the fan they worked on and could have very easily been dislodged I guess. Grumble. Hope that's the reason.

Heard it could possibly be an error caused by a loose stick of RAM. Anyone know if that is plausible? If that is the case, an easy fix for sure.. and even more angering that they would fight tooth and nail with me about it not being their fault. My RAM sticks are located right underneath the fan they worked on and could have very easily been dislodged I guess. Grumble. Hope that's the reason.

Definitely agree with both of these. If all they did was change the fan there's a good chance they knocked something loose. Just check every connection to make sure they're secure. It doesn't sound like a software or firmware issue, so I doubt going into safe mode will help. But that's definitely worth trying too.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. I'd definitely reseat RAM and make sure all of your HDD cables are secure.

Right on, thanks dudes. Really hope it is one of those things. Sorry for the endless rant. Computers make me all cutty.

Right on, thanks dudes. Really hope it is one of those things. Sorry for the endless rant. Computers make me all cutty.

Understandable lol computers can be frustrating. I would never ever recommend Geek squad... I didn't get a job with them because they said I was over qualified because I used to own a repair/custom computer business. You would think that would make me perfectly qualified. Then I had a friend who never worked with computers a day in his life and was currently a shift manager for McDonald's got hired on right away. You're safer googling how to fix your computer lol because I guarantee that's what they do.

if i try to start it, it goes to a black screen with the mouse cursor active. Nothing can be done from there.

If i run the repair, it says something about there being nothing to fix or it couldn't fix it.

If i try to reset the system to a previous version that worked, it says there were no updates so there is no previous version to revert back to.

CAD, Geek Squad is a ripoff. Find a neighborhood kid to do your tech work (just clear your browsing history first) in the future. As for the problems you are having. Here are a few things to try.

Boot to the black screen. Let it sit overnight. It may finish. Otherwise try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del. If you can get the Task Mangler up do so and click on file > New Task (run) and type explorer and hit enter. The windows shell may be hanging up. Happens more than you would think.

Do you have windows media of some sort? If your computer has win 7 you can use any windows 7 disc to repair it (Dell branded discs are great resources to have for this). If 8, try the same.

You bought a windows 10 upgrade for 10 bucks? Why? I think I remember you or someone saying that they had a copy of windows that said it wasn't legitimate. Win 10 is free if you have 7 or 8 already. The upgrade wont work if you dont already have a legit key for your old version.

Can you get it to load in safe mode? If so, you can try running "sfc -scannow" It rarely works but could possibly fix the problem.

Last but not least a running chkdsk could possibly locate the files in bad sectors and recover.

Boot to the black screen. Let it sit overnight. It may finish. Otherwise try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del. If you can get the Task Mangler up do so and click on file > New Task (run) and type explorer and hit enter. The windows shell may be hanging up. Happens more than you would think.

I was not home last night so I was unable to troubleshoot anything. However, I did turn it on and let it sit at the black screen this morning so it will have a chance all day today to sort itself out. It will not let me do anything at the black screen, I tried the "Task Mangler" (which I will be calling it from now on) but it was a no go.

Do you have windows media of some sort?

I'm not sure what to do about Windows. When I got the computer, I bought Windows 7 from the University my wife works at. They sell it at a nice discount for employees. It was great for about a year and then all of a sudden, my desktop was black and I'd get a window that popped up frequently telling me "This copy of Windows is not genuine". Just another kink in the entire process since I got the computer. It is definitely a legitimate copy, so I don't know wtf is up with that. The $10 upgrade was just an idea I had to hopefully fix that issue. The same company will always upgrade your version of Windows for $10 as a download from their site.

Really appreciate your input. My brother used to be my IT guy but now he's off building robots and doesn't live next door. I miss getting computer help in exchange for some food.

Do you best to hunt down you original Win7 activation code; perhaps it is in an old email?. If you can find it, it won't be hard to just reinstall windows as you can create a bootable USB easily.

If you code is indeed genuine and you keep getting the error, you may need to check with microsoft to see what kind of machine the code is linked to. Microsoft takes a snapshot of your hardware on installation and will sometimes flag it as not genuine if you change a major component like a motherboard. Their customer service may need to assist you with transferring it to new hardware or you can try the trick linked below.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

If you can get it to boot (try safe mode) you can use a key finder to get your keys:
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Do you best to hunt down you original Win7 activation code; perhaps it is in an old email?

Apparently this "not a genuine copy" window that keeps popping up is a common occurrence with Win7. The sites that outline how to fix it gave me a headache just trying to comprehend. It might be a chore.

I was not home last night so I was unable to troubleshoot anything. However, I did turn it on and let it sit at the black screen this morning so it will have a chance all day today to sort itself out. It will not let me do anything at the black screen, I tried the "Task Mangler" (which I will be calling it from now on) but it was a no go.

I'm not sure what to do about Windows. When I got the computer, I bought Windows 7 from the University my wife works at. They sell it at a nice discount for employees. It was great for about a year and then all of a sudden, my desktop was black and I'd get a window that popped up frequently telling me "This copy of Windows is not genuine". Just another kink in the entire process since I got the computer. It is definitely a legitimate copy, so I don't know wtf is up with that. The $10 upgrade was just an idea I had to hopefully fix that issue. The same company will always upgrade your version of Windows for $10 as a download from their site.

Really appreciate your input. My brother used to be my IT guy but now he's off building robots and doesn't live next door. I miss getting computer help in exchange for some food.

Happy to help what I can. So did you say you were able to load it in safe mode? If so try the sfc -scannow thing and even chkdsk.

Next up would probably be a little percussive maintenance. Do you happen to have a large hammer to threaten it with?

Also, if you can find your license key you can download windows from microsoft here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
(see @mredge73 's note on a keyfinder)

Played some Vermintide again this past weekend. Forgot how well put together a game it it is; I highly recommend giving it a chance (especially if you find it on sale)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkZZ2CehhQ[/ame]

My little brother was actually in town this weekend and looked at my incapacitated PC for me. We reseated everything inside and secured all the plugs again before restarting. It remains in the same condition as it was after Geek Squad 'fixed it'. My brother now says it may have been a Windows update that happened and messed it up since the computer seems like it is thinking still. The next best thing he could suggest was to put in a Windows CD and reformat. Well, the situation I'm in, I no longer have my Windows CD. Said **** it, I'll just go buy a new copy of Windows 7 and be done with it.

So, I looked up prices for Windows 7 and saw it was ~$70. Fine. Ran down the road to Best Buy where I had the amazing experience with Geek Squad. Go to computer section. It's in shambles. Finally find someone to ask to point me towards operating systems:

Me - "Do you sell Windows?"
Him - "Yep."
Me - "... Good. Can you just point or something?"
Him - "What version?"
(Jesus guy, you keep them in different sections?)
Me - "7"
Him - "HALOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... They don't MAKE that anymore. If you even find Win7, it's a bootlegged copy. Here. Just get Win10 its only $120."

Dropped everything I had ready to purchase (iPhone accessories and a gift for wife's bday) on the floor at his feet. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Will never return. **** that place.

PM me your address. I'll mail you my copy of Win7. It should work for you, I've lent it to at least 2-3 other people and they've installed it no problem.

All I ask is that when you've installed it (and hopefully that fixes your woes) that you send it back :D

CAD, have you tried booting into start mode, does it do nothing? Might be able to go in and revert the recent updates/drivers whatever that ****ed it.

All I ask is that when you've installed it (and hopefully that fixes your woes) that you send it back :D

You think that will work? I just want to reformat. If I can get the computer to boot to desktop, I can download what I need from the University.

CAD, have you tried booting into start mode, does it do nothing? Might be able to go in and revert the recent updates/drivers whatever that ****ed it.

Yeah. I've tried every option I can get to, and if there was anything else obvious.. my brother most likely would've figured it out immediately. The furthest the computer will go, is to a black screen with mouse ability.

Sending PM Rhetorik.

PM rec'd. CD will be in the mail tomorrow.

Also, try taking a look at this and trying out any of the steps if you haven't already: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM[/ame]

Anyone here play Bloodborne? I bought the game when it was released and ended up putting it on the shelf after a solid day of dying over and over. Couldn't get the Beckoning Bell to work, so there was nobody to hit the bosses with. Lack of descriptions made it hard to understand since it wasn't like the soapstones in the previous games and seeing who you could summon for help. Anyway, my friend started playing it and it got me excited for it again. I put it in and played an hour or two and killed 4-5 bosses. The beckoning bell is answered almost immediately, in every area I've been, by multiple people that run through and crush everything in the area and then absolutely rape the boss. This game is so weird and just feels unbalanced. Really excited for the new Dark Souls and hope they go back to the way the previous games were designed.

Back