Does Anyone Buy Liquid Yeast in Advance of Summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abonzer

Reaction score
Where I live the closest home brew shop is about a 1 1/2 hours away so I usually order from Midwest online. Does anyone else who orders online load up on liquid yeast during colder temps and keep them in the fridge or do they just pay extra to have it shipped with the ice pack and pouch? Also, how long can the liquid yeast vials (specifically White Labs) be kept in the fridge?

Yes, this is the time of year I order my liquid yeast if I need it because I live where I can't get liquid yeast without paying a fortune. We get 100+ temps during parts of the summer. The answer to how long it last, it just depends on the yeast. I make a 1 gallon starter and go for it and I don't have many problems and usually let mine go for a couple of months.

Thanks for the input Warped04! So far, in my limited brewing history, I haven't made it to the yeast starter step yet, but I know that is something I need to start doing.

Every month that the yeast is stored you need another 1L of starter wort. I mash starters 2L or bigger in a 155*F oven so it costs me all of 40 cents. If you use extract for your starters it could get expensive. But I live in a very hot climate so I would avoid shipping yeast during the summer unless it had ice packs and was shipped overnight.

Back