Cheap yeast shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashola

Reaction score
Folks:

Some time ago I found an online store that sold dry yeast with some cheap shipping. They threw it in an envelope and charged only $1.00 or so to ship. Sadly, I've lost the link and can no longer find the vendor. As a notoriously cheapskate brewer, I would like to track it down again. Does it ring a bell with anyone? For giggles, I put a $4.00 envelope of Safale into the shopping cart with Adventures in Homebrewing and, when I went to the checkout page, they wanted $14 to ship a little envelope of dry yeast. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Da Crashola

$14 to ship a little envelope of dry yeast
In addition to Label Peelers, take a look at RiteBrew. It's not "free shipping, but certainly less than $14 for a single package of dry yeast.

For "light weight" orders (less than 1 pound?) both offer US Postal Service First Class Mail and/or US Postal Service Priority Mail as shipping options.

Crossmyloof Brew? They sell yeast packaged from unknown source. I ordered from them last year, and with the exchange rate and international shipping it came out to $1.30 per sachet.

Crossmyloof Brew? They sell yeast packaged from unknown source. I ordered from them last year, and with the exchange rate and international shipping it came out to $1.30 per sachet.
What country and state did you have it delivered to? Did you have any issues with fermentation? I wonder how reputable this company and its process of very obviously repackaged yeast is.

To answer OP, label peelers is perfect for yeast. Letter envelope with no added shipping.

What country and state did you have it delivered to? Did you have any issues with fermentation? I wonder how reputable this company and its process of very obviously repackaged yeast is.

To answer OP, label peelers is perfect for yeast. Letter envelope with no added shipping.
Shipping was to Texas. As far as fermentation performance, it makes beer. I wasn't happy with the beer I made with their Belgian yeast, the Saison was good (not sure how it compares to other dry Saison yeasts), I have not tried the "California Common" yeast but I have a beer conditioning now. I got these primarily for 1 gallon and second runnings batches.

I plan on ordering from Ritebrew, since I would rather brew with yeasts from Lallemand and Fermentis.

Amazon Prime? Fermentis sells on there, as well as other vendors.

1681314867241.png

I plan on ordering from Ritebrew, since I would rather brew with yeasts from Lallemand and Fermentis.
These are repackaged Fermentis or Lallemand. FOUR an English ale yeast and FIVE an American ale yeast. That's s-04 and us-05. I didn't do a full comparison of the other yeasts but these stood out as obvious re-packagings. I suspect the rest are as well.

That said, I don't blame you for ordering from a company that hasn't repackaged and is closer to home.

That’s a good suggestion, I was impressed with the variety of dry yeast they have but I wanted to pass on one warning that I just learned. For Amazon yeast is a non-returnable item and if it is within its expiration date they won’t issue a refund. So if you’re buying one of their 6 or 10 pack deals to try and get the best price, just be aware it might all be close to the end of its, best used by, shelf life and then you’re stuck with 10 packets that expire in a month or two. Not really a huge deal, knowing how long the dry stuff can really last but I thought I would mention it.
Lesson learned for me and I’ll be buying 2 or 3 packs at a time from now on.
Cheers 🍻

View attachment 817502

That’s a good suggestion, I was impressed with the variety of dry yeast they have but I wanted to pass on one warning that I just learned. For Amazon yeast is a non-returnable item and if it is within its expiration date they won’t issue a refund. So if you’re buying one of their 6 or 10 pack deals to try and get the best price, just be aware it might all be close to the end of its, best used by, shelf life and then you’re stuck with 10 packets that expire in a month or two. Not really a huge deal, knowing how long the dry stuff can really last but I thought I would mention it.
Cheers 🍻
Dry yeast (unopened) has a shelf life longer than you will live, especially if kept in a fridge. Ignore the date stamped on it.

I wonder how reputable this company and its process of very obviously repackaged yeast is.
CrossMyLoof are a superb company supplying first class products.
You only need to search the UK forum to see their feedback is impeccable!.
They repackage a lot of yeasts under their own brand, I have used nearly all of their range and they are absolutely faultless, making exceptional ale.

They are the only homebrew company in the UK to offer free delivery and their customer service is unparalleled, a true customer oriented business from a friendly Scottish run company.

Rare as hens teeth these days.

(To the O.P)
Yeast to Texas for a $1.40, mate you'll struggle to get it delivered cheaper from the same continent, but I digress, the quality of their products is not in question, but putting yeast through a transatlantic journey at 39,000ft and -40°c for 8hours or so may have some effect on the viability of your purchase.

Closer to home might be a better option really.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to reach you from purchase?

Cheers 🍻
Several months ago I got a 10 pack of Muntons dated 12/23.

CrossMyLoof are a superb company supplying first class products.
You only need to search the UK forum to see their feedback is impeccable!.
They repackage a lot of yeasts under their own brand, I have used nearly all of their range and they are absolutely faultless, making exceptional ale.

They are the only homebrew company in the UK to offer free delivery and their customer service is unparalleled, a true customer oriented business from a friendly Scottish run company.

Rare as hens teeth these days.

(To the O.P)
Yeast to Texas for a $1.40, mate you'll struggle to get it delivered cheaper from the same continent, but I digress, the quality of their products is not in question, but putting yeast through a transatlantic journey at 39,000ft and -40°c for 8hours or so may have some effect on the viability of your purchase.

Closer to home might be a better option really.

Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered November 8th and it was delivered on the 26th. I had a brew scheduled that day, so did a dunk sparge of my brew bag to get enough for a 1 gallon batch, some belma hops I got for free from a homebrew club meeting, and some of the Lille Saison yeast I just received. This ended up a decent beer for very little money.

... putting yeast through a transatlantic journey at 39,000ft and -40°c for 8hours or so may have some effect on the viability of your purchase.

My experience: I've had both dry and liquid yeast shipped to Japan from the US, the UK, and Taiwan, and I've brought it in checked luggage as well. I've never noticed an issue with viability. YMMV.

My experience: I've had both dry and liquid yeast shipped to Japan from the US, the UK, and Taiwan, and I've brought it in checked luggage as well. I've never noticed an issue with viability. YMMV.
Well there you go, compounds my point about the quality of the product.
I'm sure the OP will find that valuable information 👍

View attachment 817502

I've ordered a few of those multi-pack deals on Amazon for some of the common yeasts I like to keep on hand, i.e., US-05, Notty, etc.

They ship from a place in IL, Hobby Homebrew, IIRC. Was happy with the quality and service. Yeast was fresh.

Back