Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonnie supervising the transfer of DIPA from kettle to fermentation chamber

20170115_154057.jpg

our dog is on orijen dry food and the occasional leftover from us, she doesn't fart too badly, mostly only when she's been at mum-in-laws and had too many treats....

father-in-laws labrador is a roomclearer, but they somehow refuse to switch his diet to something better than purina/pedigree crap, even though it is as expensive per feeding as much better food.

Thank you all for the kind words!!!

I saw a concert Sunday, and this guy Henry Gross opens for the main act. He goes on to explain how he played at Woodstock (hard to believe, didn't look older than me), how he knew all the beach boys, etc.

Anyway, then he talked about Carl Wilson (one of the Beach Boys) awesome irish setter, Shannon. Friend to all of them. Dog got hit by car, and Henry was devastated and wrote this song about Shannon, the beach boy's dog. Not a dry eye in the place when he was done.

He was much better than the main act, which was Dr. John.

Last edited:
I saw a concert Sunday, and this guy Henry Gross opens for the main act. He goes on to explain how he played at Woodstock (hard to believe, didn't look older than me), how he knew all the beach boys, etc.

Anyway, then he talked about Carl Wilson (one of the Beach Boys) awesome irish setter. Friend to all of them. Dog got hit by car, and Henry was devastated and wrote this song about Shannon, the beach boy's dog. Not a dry eye in the place when he was done.

He was much better than the main act, which was Dr. John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhoXlZUPLbE

Damn bro. I'm blown away that you thought about us. That's awesome!

Thank you!! :mug:

Of course I think of you. We're a big family of friends here. It'll always be that way.

Funny how certain things can do that. Started with beer, but migrated to our ever faithful companions. When I lost Freedom a couple years ago, after I got Jen calmed down, my first thought was to let you guys know. I knew sharing with you guys, there'd be no judgements, no eye rolls (well, that I'd see anyway lol). It made it a little easier, knowing that there was an entire group of people that I knew for certain knew exactly what I was going through, and exactly how I felt.

My wife and I went on a Sakura tour today. Cherry blossoms. The tour every first Saturday in February. Not a lot of blossoms but got a picture with a really wonderful pup along the way. I think she loves me... I think she probably loves everybody. If man were like dog?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486264262.768973.jpg

Scout practicing with his K9 pack from Mountainsmith. It's a very nice pack if you're looking for a way for your four footed friend to carry his own gear.

Scout is 51lbs and the pack is a medium. He carried two 16oz water bottles, his collapsible water dish, some treats, and his poo bags. On future backpacking trips his load out will be his food and I'll carry his sleep pad.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486865691.979402.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486865702.706979.jpg

7 years ago tomorrow we adopted the Howdy, but 2 weeks prior to that we had to say goodbye to our Goombah

only 5 years old, his kidneys gave out and he stopped eating. ending the suffering of a beloved pet is one of the hardest things we'll ever have to do, but he was in such pain at the end, it was unbearable. even the vet cried

he was the sweetest dog, but not the brightest, as this picture will attest. he somehow got his head up inside a rip in the comforter and just stayed there, not moving, until we came into the bedroom and found him like this. not panicked, but not doing anything to get out of his predicament. "a little help here, please?"

we love and have loved all our dogs, but Goombah was extra loved. he was only with us a short time (little less than 2 years) but he left some very deep paw prints in our hearts

"if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
- Will Rogers

1080.jpg

So is that to say Goombah was a little "spayshul"?
Moogie does kinda the same, but he'll only tolerate it for about 2-3 minutes, then he's all 'get me dafuq outta this!' If I cover his head with his blanket when he's in the chair, I have to be careful not to get distracted, as he will flip himself out of the chair and onto the floor just trying to get out of it.

pic of the Howdy 7 years ago today, the day we adopted him

& pic from this past Christmas

a little gray in the muzzle, but he's still the same hyper pain-in-the-a** he was then

1050.jpg

IMG_8878 resizd.jpg

no! he LOVES his jammies!

what he doesn't love is his harness. when I grab it to put it on him, he gets excited because he knows he's going for a walk. but he doesn't like putting it on

Hera, my 9 year old Saint Bernard, goes in for eyelid surgery Friday. Oddly it is not for the eyelid tuck so common for the breed and she has NEVER had it. She has the typical old-dog eyelid tumor that I first thought, along with the vet, was a wait and see situation. The exposed tumor actually SHRUNK but on flipping up the eyelid the hidden portion was now the size of a BB.

Putting a dog this size, breed (barrel chest) and age under general is always a risk. In the bad old days 15 year ago she would have a 50% chance of respiratory failure under general but now days it is about 20%. Hoping for the best. She is such a wonderful dog now that she is not stuck in a puppy mill as a breeder though she has now become overprotective of her people on her property (but oddly does fine on walks).

Watch out...she is viscous...

Hera 2.jpg

Hera came through with flying colors. They had to call me in early to pick her up as she was agitated by being in the kennel (she spent her first 7+ years in one). Of course the cone of shame is a requirement anytime I cannot watch her so we had to test fit it.

Cone of shame.jpg

Hera came through with flying colors. They had to call me in early to pick her up as she was agitated by being in the kennel (she spent her first 7+ years in one). Of course the cone of shame is a requirement anytime I cannot watch her so we had to test fit it.

Great to hear she is doing well Onk! I didn't realize how risky the sedative could be until I saw your other post.

@Onkel_Udo , glad everything went well. Good to see her legs are long enough to keep the cone off the ground.

The wife and I had many a laugh at the Bassett's expense when he had to wear the cone. He'd be going along good and drop that head just a little......

Great to hear she is doing well Onk! I didn't realize how risky the sedative could be until I saw your other post.
Going "fully under" verses twilight or local and a paralytic is risky for humans, dogs, cats, elephants. Barrel-chested large and giant breeds are very susceptible to respiratory failure and arrhythmia under general. The older they are, the riskier it is...just like humans.

Changes in the actual drugs but more importantly the metering equipment and monitoring equipment have made HUGE strides. A healthy 3-year-old Saint Bernard has almost the same low risk as a young Border Collie. A 9-year-old...not so much.

Hera has been a trooper and spends all waking hours when observed out of her cone of shame (for the last two days). Played so hard in the snow today she made it inside the door and flopped on the floor falling asleep in under five minutes.

Alright y'all! Happy to say I can finally join this wonderful thread. Meet Hank. We haven't picked him up yet (he was just born Saturday) but we are so excited to pick him up next month! Already in love with this little bundle of fluff. Can't wait to have a brew/hunt/family dog

Yay! We look forward to many pics as he grows. Congrats!

Back