Not Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
I put down two batches of Apfelwein nearly a month ago, and everything went as planned...sort of.....

I have ony made two batches in the past, and both times, I racked to a secondar at about 14 days and waited another 2 weeks before I kegged.

I am 24 days into these two batches and they show NO signs of clearing...

My question is.. do you guys rack to a secondary, or just wait it out? I haven't done a FG yet, but the gravity is not as important as the fact that when apfelwein is finished, it clears...

Should I rack to a secondary?

I'd take a SG reading first. If it looks like it's done I say rack it. You can also buy clearing agents like Sparkalloid or Bentonite (kitty litter). I have a mead that's been going since August that's still not clear yet, so I just added sparkalloid to it to make it clear up some.

I did the first FG reading after a month and it's 1.02, which is a bit higher than the last couple of batches, one was .996, but I have added 200gm corn syrup to this batch, so I expect it to be a bit higher. It's also a bit clearer than I thought, I guess the new demijohns are a bit green, but I still cannot see through it...

Back