Barelywine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked up a recipe for barelywine in the recipe database. It ink it called for like 15 bls of malt, plus a couple more pounds?? Is that right?

I'm thinking about making some. Botting in small bottles for the most part, to sip when it gets chilly out. I know it's a bit beer, but 15 lbs??

Yeah, BIG!!!!
Remember alot of BW are going to have a huge SG around 1.07 or heavier. That makes a monster beer.

WoW! I guess!

I had some at a tasting in Grand Rapids this past winter, and I'm kind of eager to try and make some (if only because it's so DAMN expensive to buy!) but I'm not quite yet into AG, and I'm afraid to try something like this as a noob.

Is there a DME recipe out there somewhere, or should I just convert??

Honestly, It will be fine with extract. Just use some steeping grains to give it the complexity that the style demands. I am still a relative nOOb, less then 20 batches, but my big beers have come out just as good as my small beers. Just keep your process nice and clean and you will be fine. Remember that a BIG barleywine will need a year to age out nicely.

I just made one for my 50th birthday(next summer) and I used 13lbs of grain for 3.5 gallons of 1.098 OG Barleywine. But I added 1.5lbs more grain and got 5 gallons of 1.035 Bitter.:ban:

The 09-09-09 barleywine recipe takes 26+ lbs. of grains, so 15 doesn't sound too bad. I made an IIPA with more than that. If you're not AG, this might be a biggie to tackle for your first go (although I wouldn't hesitate), but it will also be hella-expensive using extract. Maybe scale it back to a 3 gallon recipe with the specialty grains like Arneba28 suggested.

On the other hand rather than scaling down to 3 gallons, if you're going to age for at least one year you may be well served by making a full 5 gallons of expensive beer and having lots to drink over the year or two you have it. Nothing worse than waiting for a beer to age then not have enough!

I have a 2.5 or 3 gal carboy that I could use. I got it specifically for bigger beers (I don't know anyone else who likes them). I have yet to try it out. This might be just the thing to do with it. I'm geeked!

Latest posts

Back