Honey for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmo

Reaction score
I currently have a honey wheat in the secondary. As has been mentioned on here before, most of the honey flavor has fermented out. I have heard it sugested the use of honey to prime would help w/ this but have not heard of any firsthand results or amounts to use for 5 gal. Any help would be appriciated.

desmo said:
I currently have a honey wheat in the secondary. As has been mentioned on here before, most of the honey flavor has fermented out. I have heard it sugested the use of honey to prime would help w/ this but have not heard of any firsthand results or amounts to use for 5 gal. Any help would be appriciated.

Ive used it several times, It works great. I forget how much honey I used for a 5gal batch, and I don't have my note book handy. Off the top of my head I think I used 8oz honey for a 5gal batch. But there is a section in the Joy of Home brewing about different priming sugar sources and the amounts to be used.

If you feel so Inclined, I used Leather wood honey from Tasmania, it is a little hard to find an fairly expensive, but its vary unique flavor is great with lightly hopped beers.

I had to use honey while bottling my Cream Ale. I used 12 tbsp (i think). It's roughly 5.36 oz of honey to bottle. I'm not sure if it was weight or FL oz that measurement was suppose to be so i said what the hell let's assume it's FL oz.

That means 5.36 oz = 10.72 or 11 tbsp... I said to hell with it and put in 12... it carbed nicely in the first week... no bottle bombs either...

Thanks for the info. This is my 8th batch but the first to use honey.

The Complete Joy says half a cup of honey for 5 gallons to carb it up and Palmer says 4.7 oz(weight) for a five gallon batch.... I'm not sure how those two compare but there ya go.

I've got a honey porter in the secondary right now that I'm thinking about primeing with honey just to give it a little more of the honey taste.

I'd be careful with the amount of honey you use in a brew. It has a tendency to coat your mouth and add sharp alcohol flavors...

Back