Kegging - Priming, Gelatin, & DryHopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewThruYou

Reaction score
I have a two-tap kegerator and like to have an IPA on tap as one of my beers. I also have a fridge that can cold crash and hold a few cornies. I'd like another kegged IPA ready in case that one kicks. My problem is when to use gelatin and when to dryhop if I'm priming with dextrose at room temp.

What would you rather do if you don't want to force carb?

1. Cold crash in glass with gelatin. After clearing, rack to corny with dextrose & dryhops. Wait 2 weeks at room temp to carb. After 2 weeks, throw corny in fridge.
2. Cold crash in glass with gelatin. After clearing, rack to corny and prime with dextrose. After 2 weeks, open it up, add dryhops, and throw it in fridge.
3. Cold crash in glass with gelatin. Rack to tertiary glass and dryhop for 1 week. Rack to corny, add dextrose, wait 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, throw corny in fridge.
4. Prime keg with dextrose. After 2 weeks, open up, throw in gelatin and dryhops and cold crash.
5. Other

Seems like there is downsides to each option. I've heard that gelatin strips out some dryhop flavors, so I'd guess I'd lean towards #1 or #2. The problem with #2 and #4 is that I'd need to open the corny after priming to add the dryhops.

Please help. Confused on the best option. I'd prefer to have the dryhops in the keg while in the kegerator so I guess I'm leaning towards #1 and hope that the dryhops for 2 weeks at room temp doesn't lead to grassy flavors.

Don't bother with gelatin, dry hop in your primary, rack to a keg, prime, cold crash and serve. You might get little sediment in your first glass or two but you'll be fine after that. If you still want more hops aroma look up Randall the Enamel Animal.

None of the above. Gelatin doesn't strip hop aroma unless you're using WAY too much gelatin. 1 tsp is plenty. 1/4tsp is probably right. 1 tablespoon is probably way too much, and one whole packet is completely overkill. So just make life easy, and dry hop before you gelatin. I definitely advocate using gelatin, your beers will be clearer, and it's so easy, why not.

- Dry hop, cold crash, gelatin, then once it's clear rack to corny with dextrose.

I would wait to put the dryhops in the keg (in a muslin bag) as long as possible until you are ready to serve. Maybe a few days before you decide to throw it in the kegerator. So I guess option 2 would be how I would do it, without the 2 week time constraint. I want my dryhops to be as fresh as possible in my IPA's.

When it's at FG rack to secondary with the hops. After it's been on the hops long enough cold crash. When it's cold fine it. When it's clear keg it. That's how I brew everything pretty much, but I don't dry hop or fine everything.

Fining may take some flavor but it's easy to compensate for (add more hops.)

Back