two partial mash batches ended at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem to another recent poster. My last two batches (first partial mashes) both ended up at 1.020, when I was expecting closer to 1.010 or 1.012. Both sat in primary around 65*for a full month, so I have to assume they were "done". My maibock had an OG of 1.069 to yield 70% attenuation. The Wyeast 1056 strain I used lists 73-77% expected.

Am I right to be suspecting high mash temperatures as the cause? How much higher than 153* would I have to go to generate enough non-fermentables to finish @ 1.020? Do I have to get within a degree or two? I have a Taylor instant-read thermometer and I kind of eyeball it in a couple spots then let it mash for an hour. In cooking, 5-10 degrees of tolerance is usually OK - do I have to tighten it up for brewing?

What kind of thermometers do you guys use? We have some nifty Omega readers @ work but they are a couple hundred each...

The AA listed for the yeast is in a test wort at the lab, your beer is different. Mash temp affects FG but so does the recipe. .5 TO 10 wont cut it for brewing, you want to be right on the money.

twd000,

The fermentability of your OG is a compromise between temperature and time, and the character of amylase specific to your grain bill. All grains have different (sometimes very different, sometimes barely different) amylase character; this works even within a specific grain type (i.e. not all two row barley has the same amylase character). Yeast can be very picky at times for seemingly, no apparent reason. I guess, that what I am trying to say is that if you are trying to get it perfect (matching exactly what someone else has done, or what a program says should happen), you may never make it.

Also, short temperature spikes (i.e. local spikes around 5 degrees) may not have a great effect on the mash/wort, however, longer temperature spikes will do damage. However, 158 shouldn't do a lot of damage to a mash (not in my experience anyway...I have royally screwed up a few mashes and the beer turned out OK); I am assuming this was a single infusion. Only one way to really find out...run a partial batch again at a higher temp and lower temp (measuring with a good thermometer), then ferment both with identical yeast.

I use a simple alcohol thermometer with 2 degree graduation for nearly all of my brewing (I can read it to 1 degree - costs around $5). I find that when my equipment gets fancier and more expensive, I tend to concentrate more on stuff that doesn't really matter much...and brewing becomes less fun (but that's just me).

I agree with AK...5 degrees is too much error.

On another note, if you don't mind me asking...why use an ale yeast for a maibock?

Cheers,
Pikledbill

twd000,

The fermentability of your OG is a compromise between temperature and time, and the character of amylase specific to your grain bill. All grains have different (sometimes very different, sometimes barely different) amylase character; this works even within a specific grain type (i.e. not all two row barley has the same amylase character). Yeast can be very picky at times for seemingly, no apparent reason. I guess, that what I am trying to say is that if you are trying to get it perfect (matching exactly what someone else has done, or what a program says should happen), you may never make it.

Also, short temperature spikes (i.e. local spikes around 5 degrees) may not have a great effect on the mash/wort, however, longer temperature spikes will do damage. However, 158 shouldn't do a lot of damage to a mash (not in my experience anyway...I have royally screwed up a few mashes and the beer turned out OK); I am assuming this was a single infusion. Only one way to really find out...run a partial batch again at a higher temp and lower temp (measuring with a good thermometer), then ferment both with identical yeast.

I use a simple alcohol thermometer with 2 degree graduation for nearly all of my brewing (I can read it to 1 degree - costs around $5). I find that when my equipment gets fancier and more expensive, I tend to concentrate more on stuff that doesn't really matter much...and brewing becomes less fun (but that's just me).

I agree with AK...5 degrees is too much error.

On another note, if you don't mind me asking...why use an ale yeast for a maibock?

Cheers,
Pikledbill

Ok, I'm using a basic alcohol thermometer, too. Are you guys calibrating them to boiling water or something?

The ale yeast was chosen because I don't have temperature control for lagering yet. It won't be "to style" but tastes pretty decent at bottling time.

twd000,

You can calibrate with boiling water...be sure to know your altitude and adjust accordingly. I generally use two thermometers at a time...I have even used three during complex mash procedures. I don't normally calibrate every time...I average my two thermometers (usually they are within a degree of each other). Treat your thermometers gently, and store them upright...you shouldn't have any major issues with the temperature reading changing between batches.

I made a little wire holder with the thermometers spaced about two inches apart...it fits on the side of the pot and is adjustable for position.

Nothing wrong with using ale yeast for maibock (won't be in accordance with style, but as long as it tastes good who cares?)...I was just curious.

Cheers,
Pikledbill

Back