Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my last batch of it at 15 PSI to give it a little more "sparkle" if you will. The foam dissipates fast in the glass anyways so its not much of an issue with my regular length beer line.

I tried a sample of 2 month old apfelwein when bottling the carbed batch last night. It was extremely sour and boozy (with very little apple flavors). I followed the recipe exactly as it was written (Tree Top Apple Juice, dextrose, Montrachet Wine Yeast).

Is this normal or should I be worried?

There are a lot of variables that factor into flavor and age time for Apfelwein.

The type of Juice is certainly the biggest. Next is Yeast type. Then there is the temperature of ferment (hotter temps can produce harsh flavors.)

Beyond that, there could be environmental variables such as if you used any tap water (for AJ concentrate, to disolved sugars, ect) there may be other chemicals or deposits such as higher chlorine or trace metals that can affect the taste of cider.

The good news is time seems to clear up all of this:D

The bad news is it takes time to clear all of this up:eek:

I've made a couple batches of this apfelwein, only difference being I'm using EC-1118 champaign yeast.

First batch: Awesome - made from juice with vitamin C. Cleared out nicely. Stopped at 0.994

Second batch: Fermented but not done clearing yet - made from concentrate juice, only vit C added. SG is 0.990

But egads! I tasted the sample I used to do the SG with and it tastes vaguely reminiscent of urine - smells funky too. The juice concentrate I used tasted fine. The sample taken a week before when SG was 1.010 tasted fine (if a bit yeasty obviously).

Anyone experience anything similar?

Not really sure what urine tastes like...
Shouldn't have been a big difference one week to the next. Funkiness no es bueno. Did you introduce some harmful microbes perhaps?If it doesn't clear up in a week or two I think that you may have contaminated the Stoeffche. Did you use tap water? When reconstituting from concentrate I always recommend RO water. Many supermarkets have dispensers for that now.

To another poster: Aepfelwein IS sour. there should be no residual sugar left in it. The booziness comes from the added dextrose, something I do not personally recommend (apologies to EDwort). German Aepfelwein has an abv of 4-6%, not the 9-10% that results from Ed's recipe. Makes waking up the next day much easier too.

Thanks oldmate! I was just wondering because a lot of people said their apfelwein tastes great at 2 months. Not sure if they used the same recipe or not though.

Taste is certainly a personal thing, but I think Apfelwein is pretty terrible at 2 months. I wonder sometimes if the "tastes great" posts are simply "tastes ok, as long as it gets me pissed" posts. If you think it's good at 2 months, leave a bottle laying around for another 6 months. Drink that and marvel at how good it is.

Taste is certainly a personal thing, but I think Apfelwein is pretty terrible at 2 months. I wonder sometimes if the "tastes great" posts are simply "tastes ok, as long as it gets me pissed" posts. If you think it's good at 2 months, leave a bottle laying around for another 6 months. Drink that and marvel at how good it is.

I am one of the ones that you speak of that like getting "pissed" a lot. I also dont mind the taste of young Apfelwein.

That being said, I have started putting bottles of this away and trying them a lot later, and holy crap does it start tasting like the nectar of the gods:ban:

Its ok to drink young, but for gods sake, save some!

Hows it going guys! OK here is my question I have some apfelwein and its about two months old now but I live in Arizona and I dont have a frig to keep it at 70, the weather here is heating up... should I keg it or keep in the primary untill 6months or so?

BuckeyeBrewAZ said:
Hows it going guys! OK here is my question I have some apfelwein and its about two months old now but I live in Arizona and I dont have a frig to keep it at 70, the weather here is heating up... should I keg it or keep in the primary untill 6months or so?

I would just leave it somewhere inside where there is A/C.

I am up to page 213 (post #2121). I made some small batches of AW last month but tonight I decided to make a larger batch. I am fermenting in the 3/4 gal jugs that the apple juice came in (Great Value - $2.48 per 3/4 gal). I added 1.5 cups table sugar to each jug and 1/8 tsp yeast nutrient. I used montrachet yeast. As you've heard countless times before - I can't wait until this is ready!

If someone posts the link to the AW counting thread, I'll add my 4.5 gallons to the total.

I am one month in on my first batch. I just want to confirm I can leave this the primary for the next 6 to12 months with no need to transfer into a secondary.
Thanks

My last batch of Apfelwein (used EC-1118 yeast) was probably the best tasting of any of them (including the last EC-1118 batch). Problem is, I decided to try priming with Apple Juice concentrate instead of dextrose. I calculated the amount needed for ~3 atm using Sucrose, and measured out the requisite amount of the thawed concentrate. Label stated 1 oz (27 g) sugar per 2 oz of concentrate and I used ~7.5 oz for 3.5 gal of Apfelwein (or ~3.75 oz as sucrose).

Unfortunately, almost a month later and there is only very slight carbonation. Next time, its back to Dextrose for priming! I let this age longer than most before bottling (12 weeks in the carboy) so maybe there wasn't much yeast left in solution. It racked out very very clear. Seems to be some yeast dregs at the bottom of the bottles, though. Maybe there just wasn't enough sugar despite the label. :(

There are lots of threads on priming with juice or concentrate, and most report good results. Any one else have this experience with Apfelwein?

started a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein 2 weeks ago today. Made it exactly to the recipe except used EC-1118 for the yeast. All airlock activity has stopped at this point, is this normal?

started a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein 2 weeks ago today. Made it exactly to the recipe except used EC-1118 for the yeast. All airlock activity has stopped at this point, is this normal?

Yes quite normal. You might see a blip now and then, but most of the active ferment seems to be done by then. It should gradually clear (until pretty clear around the 4 week mark).

EC-1118 batches seem to clear sooner than Montrachet in my limited experience.

About to start my first batch of this today, using champagne yeast. No room in the ferm chamber for another 5 gallons, so the apfelwein will be a 2-gal batch in a Mr. Beer fermenter. I'll probably regret not making more, but there's no room!

I also wanted to add that Aldi has 1/2 gal of 100% apple juice for $1.28, which brings a 5-gallon batch juice cost to $12.80. It's what I'm using.

Thanks ed for the recipe (also saw it on a Popular Mechanics web page).

Yes quite normal. You might see a blip now and then, but most of the active ferment seems to be done by then. It should gradually clear (until pretty clear around the 4 week mark).

EC-1118 batches seem to clear sooner than Montrachet in my limited experience.

thanks!

On wednesday my apfelwein (first batch) will have been in the carboy (better bottle) for four weeks. I'm very eager to give this a try, but am slightly confused. The initial post references both six weeks and four weeks as the amount of time it should be left in the primary. Should I wait another two weeks (or more) or is it ok to bottle now? TIA

If it is clear, it is probably OK to bottle, but Longer is Better. I have been leaving it for 8 weeks or more routinely.

On wednesday my apfelwein (first batch) will have been in the carboy (better bottle) for four weeks. I'm very eager to give this a try, but am slightly confused. The initial post references both six weeks and four weeks as the amount of time it should be left in the primary. Should I wait another two weeks (or more) or is it ok to bottle now? TIA

The longer you leave it the better it gets!

Keged today! 3 months in primary, I hadn't even looked at it for the last month so I was surprised to see it was ultra clear! I think it was clearer than the apple juice that made it.

2011-04-13 14.46.25.jpg

Ok, so 1 millon plus views it has to be ok right? I have been drinking for 2 weeks now a batch that I started on 1-1-11. 2 Grolsch bottles and I'm good. I tryed at 2 months not so good. tried at 3 months better. Tried at 4 mths when bottling, much better. Tried cold and not carbed. I am hooked.I think that everyone shold have 2-3 5 gallon carboys of this at a time going. I left this in the primary until bottling, right at 4 mths.
No need to back sweeten if you what 3-4 mths. The apple starts to come back at this age.
PS I used brown sugar and the original yeast. Good luck and I wish I had another batch almost done now.

Just finished mine. Can't wait till it's done. I have only done this once but I used fresh apples and it sure did suck juicing 50 pounds of apples. It tasted amazing just way to much work. I was very happy to read how easy this was.

image-4053962118.jpg

I almost forgot. Here is a pic of my first batch that I made with 50 pounds of apples juiced and two handfuls of raisins. That's it no sugar. It is amazing. I love the stuff. Can't wait to try this recipe.

image-2644065018.jpg

Okay, I made a 5gal batch about five weeks ago as per the recipe in the first post. All activity has ceased and the wine has cleared, is there a general amount of time that I should let it sit on the yeast cake, rack it to a secondary, or does it make any real difference? Also when should I start planning to bottle? And when I do bottle what is the chance of just adding a little juice said to backsweeten so as to give the yeast their sugar?
_
Thanks
Ben

Imreallycrazy, I would transfer to a secondary now, there's no harm leaving it on the lees for a month or two I would say. It is generally accepted to transfer to a secondary when there is 1/4inch of lees. After that I would wait a good 3/4 months at least before bottling. Don't hesitate to leave this up to a year in bulk-aging. If you want it carbed, then add a small amount of sugar just before bottling. If you want it still, then bottle as is. Any sugar you add will be converted into ethanol and CO2 so bottle bombs are a risk if you add too much, I'm sure another user will be able to tell you the exact amount to add.

Okay, I made a 5gal batch about five weeks ago as per the recipe in the first post. All activity has ceased and the wine has cleared, is there a general amount of time that I should let it sit on the yeast cake, rack it to a secondary, or does it make any real difference? Also when should I start planning to bottle? And when I do bottle what is the chance of just adding a little juice said to backsweeten so as to give the yeast their sugar?
_
Thanks
Ben

No secondary, just wait for it to clear

When it's clear, it's done. If you want to carb it, 3/4 dextrose in the bottlin' bucket and have at it..... :D

Ok so... I got this carbed up and chilled down and it tastes good, still has a smell of rhino farts, but not too bad.
Another point... maybe not a good idea to go from drinking beer to Apfelwein and back and forth... Didn't work out too well for me, or SWMBO's flower bed.... :eek:

Just pulled my first sample at the 3 month mark, i cant detect any apple flavor. I was not expecting a candy drink, but i am suprised i didnt even get a hint of it. Did i miss something?

time heals all...let it age. the apple flavor is vacationing at this point, it will slowly return at around the 6 month mark (provided it didn't get thrown into a mexican prison)

Cheers Dusty

I'm about 4 weeks into a 5 gallon batch using EC-1118 and table sugar(didn't have Montrachet or corn sugar on hand and wanted to get a batch going asap). About to start another batch by the book and thinking about trying a 3rd batch and shoot for something sweeter.

I'm sure its probably answered 10 times in the next 700+ pages(I'm only 50 pages into the thread so far), but not sure if I have the time or patience to pour over this entire monster thread so heres a few questions.

What exactly is the difference(pros/cons) between using Dextrose versus Brown sugar?

Any way to sweeten this up and naturally carb other than lactose or splenda?

Buzzed once again. I just can't stop drinking his stuff. Maybe if I bottled it I would drink less. Having it on tap makes me drink way to much.

What exactly is the difference(pros/cons) between using Dextrose versus Brown sugar?

Any way to sweeten this up and naturally carb other than lactose or splenda?

Dextrose is easier the for yeast to break down into fermentable fuel, and it dissolves much quicker in soulution. It also is a neutral sugar that doesn't impart much flavor.

Brown Sugar still works, but it takes the yeast longer to break it down and ferment. It does however, impart some of the color and flavor of molasses. People who use it with cider (I, for one) often say they like the flavor it adds.

For sweet and sparkeling you have to either kill the yeast then force carb, or you can bottle condition and then stove top pasturize as mentioned in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

Cheers,
The Doctor

Doc: I either misunderstand you or I understand and disagree. AFAIK you cannot safely bottle condition and still retain sweetness, esp. if you are a noobrewer working at home. You'd have to be sure that each bottle has the same dosage and you'd need to know when to pasteurize to get the level of sweetness you want. The risk of bottle bombs is too high I feel. :eek:

He'd be much better off initially doing the campden tablet bit, adding lactose or splenda, and then force carbing it. Or, he could do as the Germans do....leave it flat and add some soda like 7Up or Fanta to it. A very refreshing drink in the Summer. He could try other methods once he gains experience.

Learning to use the forum's search function can really help out budding brewers.

:mug:

Hey brupett,

I feel where you are coming from. Sweet and sparkling is tough to do with out kegging equipment, but it CAN be done, but as you said there are risks and it can be difficult. The post I indicated by Papppers walks one through the steps necessary and if followed, do indeed lead to a sweet sparkling cider!

I didn't intend to say that either kegging or pasteurization was a better way to go, I just was saying it is possible. I was simply answering the question with information available from Homebrewtalk.

Most new brewers don't have a keg or a way to force carb. and invariably try their dry cider and don't like it because it's not like the commercial cider they are used to. Then come the questions...(at least this was my way- I have come to appreciated dry cider, but I still prefer sweet and carbonated)

@junkmaster: If you do try the pasturization method make sure to read up on plenty of info and please be aware that there are risks but there are also rewards!

Cheers and be safe!

Doc:
I get that. Hope I didn't offend. You are clearly knowledgeable.
My concern is that someone who was unwilling to use the search function to find answers will also be unwilling to fully inform themselves of the dangers of pasteurizing at home and the need for diligence that were clearly brought up later in the great thread you linked.
It is better to go blind from drinking the stuff. Not from making it.

Bottled sweet apple cider is a modern invention. The Germans do seasonally (Nov) drink Aepfelwein that is still fermenting. They call it Rauscher which means 'intoxicator' eventhough it is only low alcohol. I'm a big fan of the dry stuff myself. Don't want to even think of the hangovers one will get from mixing +8%abv with 3-4% residual sugar.
Regards,
bp

Latest posts

Back