Wait... Vinyl Tubing is Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
I just came across a thread on here where two ppl mentiones, as an aside, that moving beer through vinyl tubing more than a foot or two will impart off flavors?!?! I have not experienced this, to my knowledge. Any input on this? Why does every homebrew suppplier sell vinyl tubing, then?

I think most LHBS sell vinyl because it's CHEAP and food-safe. There aren't many other options at near that price.

Vinyl does pick up flavors. I have an acquaintance who makes vodka. He told me a story about how a distillery made two varieties: plain and prickly pear. The distillery mixed up the vinyl transfer tubes and ended up with customers complaining that the plain vodka tasted like the prickly pear.

I'm converting all of my tubing to silicone, but the stuff ain't cheap! You can, however, boil the snot out of it whenever you fear an infection.

Back