Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thank you for the post.

Here is My Pug Hercules a Year and a Half ago Guarding his favorite things... the TV remote and a Playstation Controller
431085_309540292431618_785438560_n.jpg

and Maggie, My Beautiful Boxer that looks more like a pitbull to most people
229064_185406358178346_712852_n.jpg

and Herk again, acting as navigator!
264168_193311920721123_8061772_n.jpg

This is Nigel - We picked him up on Saturday, my first dog but my wife's fourth. He's a rescue, aside from he was shot all we know is he's scared of other dogs, nervous of men and very quiet, I dread to think what happened to him. At the moment he's taken to hiding and being very silent - he blatantly misses the rehab place but with a bit of patience I think we can make him feel at home.

His only response to the parrots so far has been staring in utter disbelief.

nigel.jpg

You should expect them to cry for the first 48hrs. Make sure he has a full stomach and lots of water. Don't push him to do anything too soon, or at least until the trust is built. Make sure he has a safe place with good bedding, if he's hiding put his bedding there. Good for you taking him! he looks like a fine dog.

This is Nigel - We picked him up on Saturday, my first dog but my wife's fourth. He's a rescue, aside from he was shot all we know is he's scared of other dogs, nervous of men and very quiet, I dread to think what happened to him. At the moment he's taken to hiding and being very silent - he blatantly misses the rehab place but with a bit of patience I think we can make him feel at home.

He was shot!?!? poor pup! He is a handsome devil though. I bet he will turn out to be a good pup with some love and care. Patience. May be rough for you as a first dog but those can be the ones that pay off the most in the long run.

That looks like a Collie / German shepherd mix to me, fyi.

MC

The first ones a little dated, but its one of my German Short-haired Pointers (GSP) named Harper, and my little man Marley, he's part Miniature Schnauzer and part Basenji.

"This is my Marley, there are many like him, but this one's mine."

The second is both of my GSPs, the fully brown one is Harper again, the "tick" one is Piper, shes special haha. By that I mean she is EXTREMELY hyper, but they are both very sweet dogs.

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

What do you all think about the guy who has been taking his dachhund skydiving? According to him (with some video) the dog appears to be enjoying it... but it just somehow doesnt seem right to me.

What do you all think about the guy who has been taking his dachhund skydiving? According to him (with some video) the dog appears to be enjoying it... but it just somehow doesnt seem right to me.
i know that my dog would hate it. she'd freak out, be stressed, try to escape from the harness the whole way down, etc. for her, skydiving would be pure torture.

but dogs are flexible animals and can be trained to do just about anything. humans have trained dogs to do all sorts of things are are otherwise against their nature. soldiers jump out of planes with dogs strapped to them all the time. they just want to please their pack leader. if pack leader jumps out of planes the dog will learn to do that too.

Here's my little guy Rambo from last Winter.

I love terriers. They are just my favorite dogs ever. The attitude, the eyes, the alertness, the strength... all excellent traits.

What is he, some sort of rat terrier / doberman mix?

I'm going to apologize to all up front, but I have to get this out or I will explode at someone undeserving of my anger and guilt.
I've lost the pics of our ever loving, constantly shedding, fur tumbleweed creating, pain in the a$$ beagle hound mix. Never failed to get me up at least once in the middle of the night to go pee, and haven't slept straight thru in over 8 years even tho she always managed to sleep all day lol..... But we loved her no matter what.
So tonight, I had to let her settle into her final nap. While I was at my ever fvging all so important job 2 hours away, my poor faithful companion was laying on the hardwood floors all alone seizing over and over again into a massive stroke that rendered her blind, deaf and unable to get up, forcing her to lay in her own waste for hours until my wife got home.
It's been a helluva week. Father in law passed exactly one week ago right about now. Only thing I can do to assuage my guilt and self loathing is convince myself that he is lonely and wanted his buddy to keep him company. Whenever we would go out of town over night, he would watch Freedom (she was born Sept. 2001). You'd come in the room, him sitting in his recliner, her at his side, scratching her ears. He'd see you come in and say 'go away dog, you're bugging me' lol. We all knew different.
I will miss her as much as I miss each one I've had and had to ease their sufferings as well. Is it fair we do that to them? Is it fair we do that to ourselves? I know in short order I will be at the shelter again, looking for that poor lost soul wanting nothing but love, wanting nothing but to give that unconditional love only our beloved dogs can give, but for right now, I prefer to shamelessly and openly declare to you all, I sit here with a couple fingers of small batch and a primo double maduro robusto, crying like a two year old, and celebrate the memory of our wonderful Freedom.
Again, my apologies for being such a downer, but it feels good to vent with the relative anonymity of this board, and tomorrow I will be able to recover my senses and move on as any reasonable man should.
Thanks for tolerating me....
B n B out

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

No need to apologize at all, man. Losing a loved pet is one of the hardest things. I was away at college when my childhood dog, an awesome golden passed away. He had a weird thing where the stomach flops over all of the sudden, and there's pretty much nothing to be done. I cried like a baby. My grandmother died shortly after that, and I felt horrible that I didn't cry as much. She had dementia though, and we knew her time was short. With the dog it was so sudden.

But to the question of: is it fair? Did you love the dog as much as you could with your life the way that it is? Did you give it a good home and companionship? No living being is immortal, we all have to go some time. I know that doesn't make it any easier, but especially if you're getting dogs from a shelter or dogs that are otherwise in need, what more can you do?

Beernbourbon,

It sounds like Freedom was your best friend. Don't ever be ashamed to admit you miss your best friend after they pass away.

I used to hate dogs, but over the years I warmed up to the dog my wife and I got back when we first moved in together. After he died we got a black and tan miniature dachshund and he's my absolute best buddy. I've named half my beers after him in some way or another, and when his time eventually comes (he's six years old now) I fully expect to drop my usual stoic facade and bawl like a baby for at least a couple of days. It's the least I can do for the love he has and will have given to me by that point.

Enjoy your memories of Freedom.

I will miss her as much as I miss each one I've had and had to ease their sufferings as well. Is it fair we do that to them? Is it fair we do that to ourselves?

Man, you can't experience the joy of life without being able to feel pain as well. I empathise with you. Dogs are more than just pets, they are our family members. Cats and rats and snakes and gerbils and all that stuff, they really are only just pets because they don't posess any real level of social intelligence or any desire to please their host families. One can argue that those arrogant creatures called cats have a complex social order, but the truth is that they are only loyal to the next person who offers them food. Dogs have social intelligence only second to humans, even far above that of our next-order primate cousins.

When we adopted our little terrier girl (she's been with us for a year now, about 2.5 years old), we knew that she will die of old age before we do. And still, we get closer and closer to her. She is glued to us at the hip, in the car, on the sofa, in bed at night, even in the shower. The most loyal dog I've ever known. She cocks her head sideways with her little attitude. And she, too, will die someday.

Just give yourself time to grieve fully and sort out your feelings, don't rush right out to find another dog because you can't replace the one you just lost. The good ones aren't going to get away - there are plenty of them out there waiting for a good home.

I'm going to apologize to all up front, but I have to get this out or I will explode at someone undeserving of my anger and guilt.

Strength man. I went through the same with one of my good ol' pups recently. Fortunately, I got to be there at the last though. However, don't blame yourself. I am sure your pup wouldn't. She would probably lick you and let you know that its alright and she loved you and knew you loved her. I don't think its unfair that we bring a little (ok, a lot) of joy into each others lives. Its just rough that we have such different life expectanties. Can you really say you you would trade back all those good times? Sorry to hear about your father in law as well.

I've fortunately had the good company of a few dogs over the years. The first one was a big black and rust doberman, Boozer. He was a magnificent creature, he weighed about 100 lbs and had a large barrel shaped chest. Sort of a body builder dobie. He was also extremely intelligent and gentle. He would let little kids climb all over him and he welcomed anyone that I greeted as a friend. He also died from a turned stomach suddenly in the prime of his life. I was devastated and to this day I have bittersweet thoughts anytime he crosses my mind. That was over 30 years ago. At the time, my dad wondered why I was so distraught. He acknowledged Boozer was a good dog but a dog nonetheless. A couple of months passed and I dropped by my folk's house early one morning. My dad was crying like a baby, he had a dream about Boozer and realized that he wasn't just a "dog", he was a true friend. Enjoy your life and all your friends every chance you get. Also, remember the good times with those that have passed, they are priceless.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Dogs can be as much a member of the family as anyone. I know when either of mine goes, I'll be a wreck for days. It sounds like you have her a good life, and you'll always have the memories of her to look back on. Take care.

Three months ago I came home to find our 11 year old Charlie (black lab mix rescue) stretched out "sleeping" in one of his favorite spots. Took me awhile to realize he wasn't sleeping. He was originally found on the streets living off garbage cans at about 9 months old. He jumped up on people and snarfed food from the table but he raised our two little girls, now 6 and 7, and always looked out for us. We used to say he won the doggy lottery, but we won it, too.

Well, last night we picked up Willie, an 8 month old terrier/setter/?? mix rescued from the Magnolia, AK city shelter (google it - horrendous!). As I type this he is curled up next to me. He wimpered at the door when the girls got on the bus this morning and again when my wife left for work. He's already part of the family.

They are part of our families. We love them and they worship us unconditionally. Then they pass on and we mourn their loss and the void they leave behind. Then we move on and start all over. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

no need to apologize at all. I'm sitting here tearing up for a dog I didn't even know, because I've been in that situation a few times before.

our Goombah was a Beagle mix, pretty sure it was Bassett, so we called him a Bagle. we only had him 2 years, he was very young when his kidneys gave out on him and he stopped eating. It was so painful putting him to sleep, the vet was crying.

don't worry about Freedom, my Goombah will take of her until you're reunited.

and very sorry about your FIL too.

008.jpg

Have you ever heard the saying you live your live measured by the dogs you had. kelly from when I was 11 to 23, Buster from 21-32 and now Jenny I just got 2 years ago. It sucks to lose your best friend.

Dogs are more than just pets, they are our family members. Cats and rats and snakes and gerbils and all that stuff, they really are only just pets because they don't posess any real level of social intelligence or any desire to please their host families. One can argue that those arrogant creatures called cats have a complex social order, but the truth is that they are only loyal to the next person who offers them food.

Just a question, but have you ever actually owned a cat? I've been a dog person all my life and thought the same way you think of cats for much of my life. That is, until I met my wife who has always been very much a cat person. When we first met, I had my dog and she had her two cats. When we got married, our animals merged to be a part of our family and I've grown to love cats just as she's grown to love dogs!

We've been married for 13 years and we now have 3 kids and my dog and her two cats have since passed. But, in those 13 years, we have added 2 dogs (one black lab mix and one chocolate lab mix) as well as 4 cats. I love my dogs more than anything but you won't convince me that our cats don't have every bit of personality and loyalty that our dogs have towards us! And not only do we all love our dogs and cats equally, but they all love each other as well! There isn't a day goes by where I don't see one of our cats curled up sleeping with one of our dogs or seeing one of our dogs getting a rub down from one of our cats or vice versa. And to put cats in the same category as ordinary pets such as snakes, rats and gerbils is not only shortsighted, but completely asinine if you ask me... :confused:

Just a question, but have you ever actually owned a cat?

Yes, I've owned cats multiple times. They're cute and furry and so on. Objectively speaking, they are highly intelligent - they just don't posess too much social intelligence. Whereas dogs are not more cognitively intelligent than primates, they are far more socially intelligent. That's my point.

Cats are more than pets too, they just make you earn their affection more so than dogs. I always grew up with cats. The one my parents had during the first half of my life may as well have been a dog. He loved my dad like no other. He'd even wait for him at the top of the steps every afternoon to come home from work. I realize he may have been atypical for a cat though.

These terriers of mine, who quickly dispatch any and all non-dog furry creatures they encounter outdoors, are on-leash during the photo in a public park. The little one actually has a higher number of confirmed kills than the big one, but I didn't dare let her after foxes last winter given that she only weighs 6 kilos. This winter, who knows what will happen if the big one, who weighs 12 kilos, sees a fox near our house...

Photo%25252020140921105701.jpg

Anyone have any connections around southern AZ for Boston Terriers? We don't want big money papered dogs, but would like some BTs. So far online, I've found a BT network but the pups are 1k plus each. No thanks.
Dyna came from the humane society and we'll probably just go back there and see what we can find. We really would like a pair of Bostons though. D

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Latest posts

Back