Help a Brewer Out! Pics included for you!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outcastjra

Reaction score
Hi to all brewers!
Here's the deal, I got the best deal of the year!
Let me explain, I bought a package deal from a guy getting out of the hobby. This what I got- a mini brewer 15G, large cooking pot I think 10G or more with the bottom thermometer, 2 carboys, 3 buckets, digital scale, hydro meters, capper, cleaning supplies, all the brushes one could ever need, 2 cases of large pop top bottles, etc, etc, etc!
Along with all of this I received a ton of ingredients which is where the help comes in to play! How much for all of this- $350. That's it!!! AWESOME!
So I am ready to put the mini brewer into work!
With that said here’s the list of ingredients-
- Pilsen Malt Extract= 20lbs
- 60L= 5lbs
- Carapils= 6lbs
- 120L= 17.2oz
- 2 Black Patent= 16.6oz
- Munich= 17oz
- German Hallertauer= 8.6oz
- Torr. Wheat= 4.6lbs
- unmarked item the looks like torr wheat but darker brown= 27oz
- 20L= 3.4lbs
- Amarill= 2.5oz
- Perle= 1oz
- Sterling Pellet Hops= 1lbs
- Centennial= 6.2oz
- Cascade= 2oz
- Glacier leaf hops= 1oz
- DY62 yeast dry= 11.5g
- DY65 yeast dry= 11.5g
- California V ale yeast WLP051 liquid
- German Ale/ kolsch Yeast WLP029 liquid

What would you guys suggest I could make from this list of items?
I love dark honey brown ales, also German Hefewizen, and anything with full flavor. What I don't like is skunk beer... Being a little new to brewing I would love some help! I have done 20 plus batches, mostly kits though. I just started to learn the ropes of trying my own thing. However the last thing I want to do is waste my ingredients on junk beer. So please let me know first what you think of the deal? And 2nd what recipes would work with the list I gave above? I look forward to everyone’s ideas! Oh and pics are coming for you guys!
Thanks
Joel
minibrewer.jpg

equip.jpg

pots.jpg

ingred.jpg

more.jpg

more2.jpg

Wow. All that and you're able to get Fat Tire.

I don't know if i should admire you or get my burglar mask and pay a visit. ;)

oh and...

for a 15gal batch...

Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 90.29 %
1.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.51 %

I'd use both the liquid yeasts (or step up the Kolsch with some light DME) and mix and match the hops. Specifically:
- German Hallertauer= 8.6oz
- Amarillo= 2.5oz
- Perle= 1oz
- Sterling Pellet Hops= 1lb

It'd be a nice partial mash recipe and a great way to use up some of the old ingredients.

Nice! Now you can make all the beer you want and stop wasting money on Fat Tire.

You could make a nice pale ale with the Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial.

Have fun.

Awesome score! :mug: I've been thinking about one of those fermenters for months.

/jealous

Don't try to fit 15 gallons of beer in a 15 gallon fermenter. At most, you should be putting 12 gallons in there. I'd stick with a 10-gallon batch.

Now, a recipe. Why not a simple Blonde Ale? American hops, German and US yeast, simple malt bill.

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 3 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.70
Anticipated SRM: 7.2
Anticipated IBU: 26.9
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 12.00 lbs. Generic LME - Light Generic 1.035 7
7.1 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L USA 1.035 20
7.1 1.00 lbs. CaraPils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 2

Crack the grains and tie them in a cheesecloth bag. Steep the grains in as much water will safely be held in your kettle without boiling over. 7 gallons-ish ought to do it. Raise the temperature of the water to 155-160, stop the heat and add the grain bag. Walk away for a half-hour. Remove the grain bag, allow to drain. Discard. Add 6 lbs of the extract syrup and stir to dissolve. Kick on the heat and bring to a boil.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 23.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 3.4 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Add the first quota of hops at the start of the boil, and add the other hops quotas at the appropriate times ("0" means when you switch off the heat after 60 minutes of boiling).

Yeast
-----

WLP051, WLP029 and DY65. You'll need that much yeast, so pitch it all. Ferment it cool, say 60-65F.

Your swag list didn't say if you got a wort chiller. If you did, use it. The more quickly you chill the wort to pitching temperature, the better the beer.

Cheers!

Bob

From my limited experience, the quickest way to off flavors is not controlling fermentation temps. All the kettle bling in the world won't make your beer better if you can't keep the fermentation temps reasonable. Before I'd make any large batches, I'd figure out how to keep everything temp controlled.

Edit to actually answer your questions. Awesome deal! I'd do a pale ale with those hops.

From my limited experience, the quickest way to off flavors is not controlling fermentation temps. All the kettle bling in the world won't make your beer better if you can't keep the fermentation temps reasonable. Before I'd make any large batches, I'd figure out how to keep everything temp controlled.

Edit to actually answer your questions. Awesome deal! I'd do a pale ale with those hops.

Exactly! I have made some wonderful bears with a plain jane set up, because i'm so anal about following directions, temps, sanitation, etc.

Cruckin... I think you Got the wrong thread, the bear making forum is on a different page. I know it was an honest typo but it made me laugh hard enough to almost shoot IPA out my nose when I read it....way worse than milk btw..

Cruckin... I think you Got the wrong thread, the bear making forum is on a different page. I know it was an honest typo but it made me laugh hard enough to almost shoot IPA out my nose when I read it....way worse than milk btw..

Thanks for all the replies!
As for the cider comment, that is for the wife... So don't judge me on that!
Now for the Fat Tire, I will stand by it as one of my favorite every day beers! Different taste for different people but I love the New Belgium line! I really do. What you didn't see was my other beer fridge that has at least 50 different type of beers. That is my back up supply in the keg fridge.
Again I want to say thanks to everyone that replied. I will mix and match and come up with something that will taste like beer...Just not sure what kind of beer it will taste like.
lol...

Back