The brewer provides this lit of Ingredients on their website - can I convert to a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When and how do you take a SG reading? After you mash? After you cool down? Both?

i take it you take this recipe seriously, and haven't tried anything since Dec 2018? lol , i personally think 600g's of crystal 60, AND 600g's of Munich would be way to dark for a even an amber and probably just a bad brown......in a 5 gal batch anyway.....

i take it you take this recipe seriously, and haven't tried anything since Dec 2018? lol , i personally think 600g's of crystal 60, AND 600g's of Munich would be way to dark for a even an amber and probably just a bad brown......in a 5 gal batch anyway.....

Yep, hence part of the reason I updated it in post #6 to 400g each instead. ;)

Yep, hence part of the reason I updated it in post #6 to 400g each instead. ;)

one thing i learned trying to make 'amber' or 'light' beers back in the day crystal malt be potent stuff.....i'd probably go for 4oz's 60, and 8oz's 20l munich for a 'light amber'....but take it for what it's worth, i plan on brewing a 10 gallon batch tomorrow and plan on just using 4oz's black patent in a 10 gallon batch for a 'brown' sorta.....don't have any crystal on hand or i'd toss 8oz's in.....along with the 20lb's pale malt.....

Not quite so. Been brewing extracts all year. This my first BIAB.

That is interesting to note though, since I have no experience in the AG process. What if the crystal were 40? Any major difference? It may be all my LHBS had in stock.

I plugged these numbers (5kg CDN 2-row, 0.5 kg crystal 60, 0.5 kg CDN Munich 60) into the brewers friend SRM calculator, and it returns a range of srm values of about 12. Doesn't appear that dark. Is that calculator not correct? Did I do it right, I wonder....

My grain was delivered blended and milled in that ratio. Wasn't specific when I ordered it. Assume I could adjust my grain bill by adding more 2 row, if it is necessary.

I finally got around to brewing this using what was ultimately very close the the recipe provided by @dmtaylor.

It was my first BIAB, so there were some efficiency issues just getting my kettle up to mash temp, my water volumes were off for various reasons I need not go into. Add to this that the entire grain bill was sent to me partially mixed, so my quantities had to be somewhat estimated.

Regardless, I went from grain to glass in about 17 days. I'm simply not patient enough to let beer sit, and do it's thing. I don't have the space in my fridge to crash, but my ferment temps are around 64, so it's usually resulted in decent extract results for me. Plus, I am not dealing with an oxygen free process, at bottling time, plastic fermenter buckets etc., so I am eager to get the stuff conditioning in the bottle. I am not sending anything to competitions either.just wanna nice beer.

Anyway, I was initially attempting to clone 100th Meridian, by Mill Street In Toronto, and while I am not sure I have come close to the actual taste, my beer tastes great, and I am in the general vicinity. I do happen to have an original beer in my fridge. I might just do a side by side. On memory alone, my beer feels like it might be a tad more bitter in after taste, and a later cascade addition or dry hopped cascade, may have helped, to give it just that hint of IPA style tartness or fruit, the original subtly has.

I might well taste them side by side, and realize they are miles apart. My intent, again, was not to clone, but to make something similar.

In the end, I am delighted with my results. I'll post a picture. I'll do the side by side too, give the wife the original to finish, maybe have her try both together too, and report back.

Last edited:
IMG_1947.jpg

My clone

Last edited:
@Nubiwan yours looks better! Does the original have a brewed on date? If not, it’s possible the original is a few weeks/months old and its aroma and bitterness has faded with time, compared to yours which you are drinking fresh.

@Nubiwan yours looks better! Does the original have a brewed on date? If not, it’s possible the original is a few weeks/months old and its aroma and bitterness has faded with time, compared to yours which you are drinking fresh.
Did a side by side "taste test" last night, and while it was hardly scientific, beyond us both knowing what was being sampled, prior to the test, we blindfolded and tasted each beer. We both identified the original, but agreed that mine is in fact just that slight bit more bitter. Otherwise, remarkably close to the original taste. The underlying amber quality is very, very similar. I will check my bittering hops on the original recipe, and adjust next time I make it.

Not sure where to find this dating on a can @Steven Barrett but will take a look. Very happy with my beer, and will probably make this one again.

Did a side by side "taste test" last night, and while it was hardly scientific, beyond us both knowing what was being sampled, prior to the test, we blindfolded and tasted each beer. We both identified the original, but agreed that mine is in fact just that slight bit more bitter. Otherwise, remarkably close to the original taste. The underlying amber quality is very, very similar. I will check my bittering hops on the original recipe, and adjust next time I make it.

Not sure where to find this dating on a can @Steven Barrett but will take a look. Very happy with my beer, and will probably make this one again.

Check the bottom of the can.

Better lighting! :)

Back