Note on Aquarium Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
Aquarium thermometers are not meant to get wet. My carboy is currently submerged in a water bath to keep temps down. After a day in there the whole strip lit up, and it no longer reads a single temperature. Looks like water got between the layers, rendering it ineffective. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Yep happens with the fermometers as well, I've had limited success by covering them with clear packing tape before putting the carboy in a water bath

Limited success because water got under the tape, or what?

I ask because I have two bucket primaries in water right now.

I put packing tape over one stick on thermometer once very carefully and made sure it sealed well and it worked. Another time I was tired and slapped it on to two fermenters about to go in the drink, one didn't get stuck on well (had ridges and bubbles) other one was OK but not great. The one with ridge and bubbles totally ruined the thermometer (water got in). The other one had some water, I hope that one dries out over time, we'll see.

I've had them on my carboys for a long time and I use a chilled water bath almost every time. No problems here. I think the key is to make sure they glue has stuck them on REALLY good.

I mount my fermometers higher up. When I put them in a bath, its only 6" deep, and then I wrap a towel or t-shirt around it, leaving the thermometer exposed.

keeps it cool, and the fermometer stays dry.

Back