What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I went to the LHBS to buy makings for a smoked porter and some needed hardware. Last night I bottled a Bourbon Barrel Black IPA and checked gravity on a low ABV amber. Today I started a starter for the porter. Tomorrow I'll prep some bottles for the amber (gravity holding steady) and possible even bottle it.

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Congrats! ! Welcome to the never ending world oh home brew.. is that a moose drool extract clone from nb?

Yes it is. It's tasted surprisingly good along the way.

I did 3 weeks in primary, and plan to let it condition for a couple of weeks, but the fact that I don't have a pipeline might get the best of me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I realized that my two-keg sized keg fridge (which is being used as a lagering fridge right now) has room for a three-gallon better bottle, so I transferred three gal of fermented cider into a 3 gallon BB, topped it off with about a pint of fresh juice to reduce headspace, and popped it into the 35ish degree lagering fridge. This is going to make my first attempt at cold crashing instead of using k-meta/sorbate to stabilize for backsweetening.

I put a ball valve and dip tube onto a rubbermaid tote to drain the bottle washer I built recently.
I like it. That should get the most stubborn gunk out of the bottoms.

I'll add a "what I will be doing for beer" comment now. About to go and get a handful of used buckets for storing bulk grain and order a pack of gamma seal lids for them.

Washing the last of my empty bottles,pipeline is gone. but I'm getting enough plain craft bottles to start delabeling them. Then they can start replacing the Sam Adams bottles already in rotation. Thinking of trying a red ale soon...

Went to a silent auction for a bunch of homebrew gear. Picked up a 6 gallon glass carboy, a bunch of air locks and stoppers, hydrometer, floating thermometer, o2 tank with regulator and stone. All for $40.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Washed carboys that have been sitting soaking in my tub for a week, made a wort chiller, and brewed a batch of beer. Good day all around.

Yes it is. It's tasted surprisingly good along the way.

I did 3 weeks in primary, and plan to let it condition for a couple of weeks, but the fact that I don't have a pipeline might get the best of me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I did the AG version. With 4 weeks in the primary and 3 in the bottle, I was very disappointed. 6 weeks after that, it was awesome.

We did a blind taste test with Moose Drool at work and 6 of 10 tasters preferred mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did the AG version. With 4 weeks in the primary and 3 in the bottle, I was very disappointed. 6 weeks after that, it was awesome.

We did a blind taste test with Moose Drool at work and 6 of 10 tasters preferred mine.

I racked my Caribou Slobber into secondary after 10 days, was down to 1.015 so a couple weeks should have that down to done. From the endless reading associated with this new hobby I have to assume that being patient will pay dividends.. I have to admit my test sample was great. OG was 1.065 so I bumped the batch up to about 6 gal and OG of 1.054, Nut brown is bottle conditioned and Had the first one today, fruits of Labour = Success, drinkable clean, clear beer. I knew I had it in me. You're welcome beer, today was your day.

Took a gravity reading of the black IPA we brewed a couple weeks ago. Fermentation is still not done, but it smells nice and floral, and it tastes pretty clean and dry (given fermentation isn't done).

I've been leery of using the refractometer mid fermentation, so I did a side by side against the hydrometer and got identical results. :mug: This will save me some sampling losses.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Pulled a fan and rare earth magnet out of an old computer so I can make a stir plate.

Bought the grains for an IPA I am brewing tomorrow and caps for two batches I am bottling next weekend

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

Yesterday... brewed an Ordinary Bitter

Today...

Pitched yeast
Brewed an American Rye Ale
Cleaned 5 kegs
Kegged an American Rye Ale (from a few weeks ago)

Busy weekend, busy day.... But... I ran out of beer toward the end of December, and I've got 1 kegged, 6 fermenting, and enough grain for an 8th beer that I'll brew next weekend.

I hate running out of beer... better said - I HATE BUYING BEER!!!

Just took a gravity sample of my chipotle imperial stout. Very nice, but very subtle, flavor of peppers and pepper heat. I'm going to add some more to secondary to kick it up a notch or two, but still shooting to keep it in a supporting role rather than the star of the show.

I got 5 gallons of a Belgian Blond kegged and on the CO2. Now I am ready for some football! :mug:

BB2_kegging_02.jpg

Bought too much of it.. Gotta slow down since i am brewing a decent amount of it at the same time. I need to start drinking more or give more away...or both.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391391760.368950.jpg

Finally killed a keg of Black Metal Stout clone I've had on since early November.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I got some more bottles to wash from yesterday. Cleaned the dust off the bottles in my collection & re-arranged them. I need to get some shelves to show the rest.

Placed the Alaskan Amber Clone into a cooler room. Brewed it up yesterday and it is already fermenting like crazy. It's in our "Northern European" climate room.

Ordered a canning rack to place in my brewpot so as not to scorch my new BIAB bag. Also kegged my Kolsch and set it up for lagering.

Last night I took the two kicked kegs of stout out of the keezer, put in a keg of cream ale and a keg of citra IPA, and cleaned up the lines which were beginning to look like spaghetti. Today, I have to do some plumbing on the house to fix a misbehaving shower (wont turn all the way off) and then its time to clean kegs and transfer 10 gallons into them to carb. It is nice having a pipeline again.

Maybe I can find the time, and keg/house cleaning and maintenance tasks cooperate, I might be able to brew up a batch this weekend (Tomorrow or Saturday) as well.

Technically what I did for mead. Picked up some blowoff tubing and some EC-1118 at AHS, then watched a bunch of videos including interviews with Michael Fairbrother and Curt Stock. I think I'm ready for my first mead this weekend.

Back