Dispensing Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
I have my beer carbed to my liking and am curious what pressure I should use to dispense?

I have a Brown Ale with a 1 foot - 3/16 inch Beer Line with a Picnic Tap on the end.

Thanks in advance,

With that length tubing, you'll need to purge the keg and dispense at about 3psi, but you can't keep it there or you'll slowly go flat. Get about 8 feet of tubing instead if you want to be able to keep the pressure fixed.

I had to use low pressure (1-2 psi) with a picnic tap, otherwise I ended up with a glass full of foam. It doesn't take much at all.

So I just need to make sure after I dispense a few glasses I put some pressure back on the Keg. Would 15 - 20 psi be appropridate?

how much pressure to put back on the keg depends on your carb level, as a general rule though 12 PSI is a good ball-park.

The better thing to do is what Bobby_M said and get 8 - 10ft of 3/16" inner diameter tubing. I have picnic taps on 10ft of tubing, keep my kegs at 42* or so and 12 PSI and I have no foaming issues and a good gentle pour (just make sure you open that picnic tap full flow and shut it off quick, don't control the flow rate with how open you have that tap).

You'll end up wasting a lot of CO2 if you drop it to 3 PSI to serve a pint or two, ramp it back to 12 PSI for storage, drop it again later etc.

With that length tubing, you'll need to purge the keg and dispense at about 3psi, but you can't keep it there or you'll slowly go flat. Get about 8 feet of tubing instead if you want to be able to keep the pressure fixed.

You'll be much happier if you just balance your tap line to be long enough to dispense at the same PSI you're carbonated at. No jacking around with purging, re-pressurizing, and wasting a lot of CO2 over the course of several kegs.

8 feet works great on my system. I do like my beer plenty carb'd.

Thanks Guys,

Went to the not so local Homebrew supply store and pick up 24 feet of hose. I have 3 cornies, so going to outfit them all!!!! Stupid me forgot to pick up another picnic tap. Oh well there will be another trip in the near future. That's what I get for having a few beers before going!!

Guys, just wanted to thank you for the info. Just got the 8' hoses hooked up and did a perfect pour the first time.

Thanks again,

Back