The real goal of balancing beer lines (the difference between the Anglo/American and German/Continental approach)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

I live in Germany and I have discovered an interesting, yer very confusing difference in the approach to balancing beer dispensing systems.
So, what I learned in the past from the draft beer quality manual is that the beer line should compensate (basically to dismantle) the pressure used to keep the beer carbonated. So the goal is to have no pressure at the point where the beer enters the tap.

However, the German sources say not to go to zero but to add the additional pressure in order to compensate for the pressure losses. for example here Zapftechnik in der Praxis – Teil 2. At some point they say that the taps work best if the beer has a pressure of 04-0.6(5.8-8.7 psi) bar when reaching the tap.

I presonally use Ultrataps at home, so it is an Anglo/American design. My questions are, since we have two very different approaches here, what is the ultimate goal of the balancing the dispensing system:
1. to have the residual pressure 0 before the tap or at the tap's output?
2. what would be the resistance of the tap itself, they are never taken into consideration?

Best regards and thanks in advance for the discussion, I think it will help many of us get better understanding of this topic.

Latest posts

Back