Fermenting Dampfbier with W-34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall_tucker

Reaction score
Hey there HBT! after a couple years of simply reading this forum rather than going as far as posting a question, because literally any question I could concoct was somehow magically discussed already, I think I may have finally found a gap (but please do prove me wrong).

I've had a couple 11g packets of this yeast in the fridge, which were supposed to produce a lager about 3 IPA's ago...well it's time to stop calling audibles. My plan was to make a straightforward DAB/Warsteiner sort of thing. The other day I got a random notion to possibly try my hand at a steam beer (speaking of audibles), which also led me towards dampfbier. I figured it'd make sense to go that route vs the cali common style because i've only got pils and munich on hand, no 2-row/6-row.

so i was curious to hear what your gut feel would be on how well w-34/70 would do in making a dampf. I know that strains like hefe or 810 are the designated ones for this, but it's not at the point where i'd go buy more yeast for this. i can still just stay the course and make a true lager if it's a bad idea to try this.

so good idea? or would i just be wasting the yeast and should stick to the original plan?

Well, it wouldn't be a dampfbier with anything other than a hefe yeast, I believe. Dampfbier (German steam beer) and Cali Common aren't the same thing. They called it steam beer in Germany because the krausen looked like it was boiling or steaming as it fermented.
You should brew the Dortmunder or Pilsner you were planning to brew with this yeast. Those are both good styles.

yeah, probably is the best way to go, which is by no means a problem. was just curious

Back