Beer conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Does it make a difference in the final taste in your beer if you let it sit an extra week vs bottling and letting it sit? I wasn't sure if it made a major difference if you bottled earlier than later.

The short answer is yes. 3 weeks of fermentation before bottling is highly recommended. Whether you leave it in primary for 3 weeks, or rack it to a secondary carboy, is a matter of personal preference.

I like to let it sit in primary just till it settles out clear or very slightly misty. Then on to the bottling bucket. I think more hop flavor is saved by getting it bottled as soon as it's at FG,cleared,& tastes good for still being green. That's a good experience to learn.

The true test is with a hydrometer. If the gravity is steady for 3 days, bottle it. Otherwise, you risk bottle bombs.

I understand bottle bombs, I'm more interested in final taste.
Maybe my beer is over carbonated? I just use the sugar that my Brewers Best kit comes with and don't measure it or anything?

IMHO, lighter beers don't benefit as much from sitting longer in the fermentation vessel, but I'd leave a stout, porter or big beer in there more than a couple weeks after reaching FG. But we're still just talking about subtle changes in the flavor, not a knock your socks off difference.

How long has your beer been bottle conditioning? Maybe it just needs more time.

Try expirimenting with more hops. This will change the difference in timing to taste much more. You will loose a lot of hop smell in the primary, and the bitterness will mellow out as you bottle condition.

Back