2.5 gallon used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewangski1

Reaction score
They are like finding a needle in a haystack. I enjoy smaller batches and am spatially challenged. Buying 2.5G kegs new are close to highway robbery. Anyone have any suggestions or direction?

If you are kegging, though having a 2.5g keg is nice, the rest of the space is taken up by CO2 and you aren't hurting your beer. Think of it as a variable 5 gallon keg :D

Otherwise, they are impossible to find and if you get one, you tend to hold onto them. I know a guy that quit brewing and still won't sell his five 2.5gal kegs. Such is life.

I think Yuri took a 5 gallon one and cut it down,
you might be able to try that.

again having 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg should not cause you any problems

I would use a 5G keg if it was going in a separate fridge. By spatially challenged, I mean that I have only one fridge for food, condiments and making room for a keg (by taking out a crisper). A 5G keg would take out too many shelves. As Matt said, such is life...if it's not one thing, it's another.

Then until you get a dedicated fridge or storage space, you sir need to bottle your beer for maximum effect. It would be great to have a little keg for parties, space and a whole bunch of other things, but in reality, they aren't worth their weight when it comes down to their $150 price tag. The least expensive I have found is on the CHI Company website. Still not going to do it though.

I brewed 30 batches in the last year. That means that I would still bottle half the batch and would need to buy those bottles (because I make a lot of beer and dont' just have bottles rotating). So at $.50 per bottle and then $150 for the keg I would be looking at $5 per batch for the keg and another $6 for the bottles. Or I just 5g keg one batch and $30 for that keg is a buck a batch. Or you just bottle it all and it is $12 a batch until you get enough bottles.

I have found one used keg locally. It's probably complete junk, but it's only $25. Going there Monday to check it out. I plan on kegging when I have the space, and many of the expensive components transfer over, i.e. regulator and tank, so the investment would be long term. I'm considering the investment, however, with multiple kegs, the possibility of tapping and aging is there. That would tip the scale. I currently bottle, however, in a 600sqft apt., 4 cases of beer in storage count as a roommate, especially with the 2 week conditioning "leave alone" time. I think I could rearrange the fridge to hold 2 tiny kegs, but the stars have to align. Until the stars align, they'll be in the bottle.

I think you are being over ambitions. I would just stick to bottling until you are in a larger apartment. I was living in that sized apartment and having much trouble even having any liquids. I had to invest in a storage container for it all. Good luck and forget about kegging. It takes up a lot more room than bottles. Trust me, I know. I have 10 kegs now, two tanks, two regulators, an extra fridge and it still isn't enough.

I think you are being over ambitions. I would just stick to bottling until you are in a larger apartment. I was living in that sized apartment and having much trouble even having any liquids. I had to invest in a storage container for it all. Good luck and forget about kegging. It takes up a lot more room than bottles. Trust me, I know. I have 10 kegs now, two tanks, two regulators, an extra fridge and it still isn't enough.

You're definitely right, I'm completely overambitious. You have 10 kegs? I'm envious.

Back