Sanke mash tun lid -- anyone ever tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
A thought just occurred to me. Not sure how original it is.

How about using a round cooler lid? The extended part could fit down in the hole cut out in the top?

Are there any cooler lids small enough to fit right down on top of a keg? I don't have any round coolers around here to measure.

It seems like one would sure help trap the heat....

Thanks guys.

Regular lids I don't have a problem with. I can get big lids at thrift strores.

I was thinking that since I will be insulating the outside of the mash tun with some sort of material/blanket, that a cooler lid would help hold the heat as well. That way I can use a Sanke keg for mashing, just like everyone who uses coolers. The trick would be finding a cooler lid with an outside diameter of around thirteen and a half inches or less.

It should work. Be careful if you're heating a little with a lot of heat, as the top of the keg tends to become VERY hot, much hotter than the liquid itself. So it might melt the plastic if you have a huge burner and aren't careful...

parasonic said:
It should work. Be careful if you're heating a little with a lot of heat, as the top of the keg tends to become VERY hot, much hotter than the liquid itself. So it might melt the plastic if you have a huge burner and aren't careful...

Thanks for the advice. This lid will go on the mash tun. There won't be any heating going on, unless I undershoot my strike temperature, or want to do some step mashing. I'm going to have stainless steel lids for the other two kegs.

I have found that lids for five gallon Igloo coolers, are the size that will fit down inside the ring that runs around the top of my kegs. I just need to get hold of one, so I can measure the part that actually extends down inside the cooler...

Latest posts

Back