Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm half-packed. The one thing I can't put my hands on is a long extension cord for my pump; I *think* they're buried in the garage, but if I can't dig one up hopefully one of you fine gentlemen might have one I could borrow. Or maybe even you, Paulie.

I'm not going to be able to sleep, I'm bursting with anticipation on seeing this thing. I may drive out right now and camp out in Yeager's driveway, or maybe curl up in a corner of his garage Hippie-style.

I'll give you a hint just to jack the anticipation up another notch....

.... are you ready for this??

... I'm warnin' ya... you won't sleep...

... Fine... I'll tell you.

He's incorporated a cardboard box.... seriously.

I can't keep it to myself. It's too awesome....

I can only speculate on how it is supposed to work. I am assuming that since it is "gravity drained" into a grant, he must be intending to syphon somehow, straight up through the top of the mash???? (don't look at me).

I honestly feel like it is Xmas Eve.

MegaTun.jpg

It'll be both.. first it'll catch on fire then get soaked with water when the fire gets put out. The opportunity for so many things to go wrong and even if not, providing great means of entertainment and celebration is making this day almost a special occasion... like Christmas and Thanksgiving combined.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I think we need to add frying a turkey to the list of shenanigans next year.

DrinksWellWithOthers said:
It'll be both.. first it'll catch on fire then get soaked with water when the fire gets put out. The opportunity for so many things to go wrong and even if not, providing great means of entertainment and celebration is making this day almost a special occasion... like Christmas and Thanksgiving combined.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I think we need to add frying a turkey to the list of shenanigans next year.

Shut up mark.... You are not even gonna make it... You have no say.... Stay out of this. :)

Oh I'll be there tomorrow and I'll be watching via webcast until then. I won't be able to show up til 4 but I figure at that time you'll have just started successfully lautering the megatun.

Gear is packed, extension cord is procured, and I'm about on my way. the_Boy picked a **** of a good night to spend half of it awake, given this whole 5:30-AM wakeup bit.

Bad news, guys. It seems that the odd microclimate that surrounds Stoughton struck again. While most of eastern Mass got a dusting last night I'm buried under a surprise 8 feet. I don't know how long it's going to take me to shovel myself out. Then I have to shovel put the two spinster sisters across the street sp that they can make it to dialysis. Imagine how I'd feel standing un Yeagers knowing the girls were withering away at home, buried behind that unexplained wall of white death. Yup, I'd sure like to bw there with you guys but as a man with a conciounce, as a nurse and as a member of the HBT family I can't. Who knows, maybe it won't take as long as I expect. It's a light snow. I can maybe be done with the girls by supper.

Unless my back starts acting up.

Ahaaaa!!!! It *DOES* go all the way up and out! PTN, fibbing is naughty!
thats a siphon, not a gravity drain.

Well I'm all alone in Yeagers garage with my boiling pots of greatness. Everyone has gone home except for Chris and I and he's putting the kids to bed. Sort of nice, gves me a minute to sit here and enjoy the day.

(Not gloat. Not yet. That's coming, but not for a while. I'm gonna let Capes dead puppy ripen and fester for a bit.)

Everything went off without a hitch. The much maligned Mega Tun worked flawlessly. Never so much as a hiccup. (Cape got a little giddy when I switched hoses for the sparge and momentarily lost suction but I think I crushed him like a boss when I restored suction and had everything running again within minutes).

We're down to 35 +/- gallons in the pots and the last time I checked the gravity (about an hour ago) we were at 1.125. We just did our first hop addition. I have to say, I'm enjoying the beer I'm having now more than any sample I've had all day, just because it's quiet here right now. (Nor counting the roar from three burners)

Pics to follow later but for now I would like to thank everyone who came and helped make today such a fun time. Days like these are for enjoying with friends, that's what it's all about.

PTN

ps
Pog mo thoin, mutta farkers!

I'm SO torn about the events of today, still. Watching Paulie's crazy-ass contraption actually WORK, wow... if I were a better man, I'd be in more trouble with my bookie than Dataz right now.

Helluva fun time, as it always is. Wishing I had thought through my beer a little more instead of throwing the recipe together last night and winging it, maybe I would have thought that "hey BIRD, maybe that 20# grain bill for you five-gallon batch means you might need a LITTLE more sparge water than you usually use, m'kay?"

EDIT: Paulie, you never told us... those eight spools of solder you used on that manifold, was that lead-free solder, or is this beer going to make us even more retahded than usual?

Hey Bird, it was great to meet you and some of the other guys( sorry I forgot names) that I see on here. What a great day with amazing food and beer. As usual, thanks to Chris and Paul for putting on another great event. I went to U1, and this one went much smoother. Excellent job guys.
Hey Brian, good to see ya again..Don't forget, in two years Prague and Munich..I don't know if you heard but that hotel you were going to stay in was so close to Oktoberfest...:D Just kidding man.. BTW, that sour beer of yours was fantastic..Cheers.

So far today, since I have been home (around 4ish),I have toasted to you 1 Stone's Lukcy Basartd (for good-luck), 1 Rogue Captian Sig's Northwestern Ale (because it looked cold), 1 Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout(because I was in a commercial break and nothing was happening), 1 Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru (Because you popped "The Awesomeness", though it can't compare), Rogue's XS Imperial Younger's Special Bitter Ale (because during the commercial the milk stout was only 12oz and needed support). Now that you are offline, I can't have all my effort go to waste, so I am enjoying a Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA to make sure that you don't screw it up in my double absence (physical & virtual)and instead have something special for me to look forward to next year!

I hope that everything was as fun as it seemed this year... sorry about your berries Cape, better luck next time

and FWIW Cape, you took exception during your feed to me for what I said earlier in this thread, here it is post #155 (or 115, I'm a bit sauced ;) )

PS. I'd make fun of Cape, but I never read his posts, so I don't know enough about him...

I want to say thanks, it was the best I could do with little ammo against you, but I seemed to make it work, your paranoia complete me ;) wish I could have fallen in front of you to make you happy this year, but you seemed to like my PTN comment during the feed, so one hand washes the other...

Well we have 25 gallons at 1177 so far plus 7 pounds of maple syrup we will hit about 22% with a little luck. After 16.5 hours we gave up in the boil. Ptn should not have given up shares and we would have had less to boil but se la vi. :).

I wanted to say thanks to Yeager for having us over, PTN for getting this together, and Cape for proving great entertainment! To everyone else it was great meeting you all again and some of you for the first time, I plan on meeting you all again at your meetings.

We really should have taken a picture of that hydrometer floating in the flask. Actually it was floating mostly out if the flask. We 'two blocked' that sucker, almost all the way to the very last line! It was floating with the start of the bulb just below the surface.
Of course, by that time we just wanted to be done. A minor lack of foresight and planning left us with the final two pots having fittings that didn't mesh, so that added another hour to our day cooling and draining the wort.
Still made it home by midnight, if only by a few minutes.

oooch, thats a longa$$ day! i had fun for as long as I could stay.

i'm now waiting on mcmaster-c to deliver all my quick-disco brassy goodness, then the monk will be rockin the brew pew in style.

Back