Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I look completely ****faced in that second photo.

And OK, did I think the overall day would be a success? Yeah. Did I think the MegaTun would eventually work? Sure. But com'mon! New, untested equipment on such a big brew day? Ugh.. only you PTN and only you would be able to get away with it.

I will say that the entire day went nearly flawlessly less a few boilovers. And I can say "entire day" because I watched it for 6 hours at work before showing up.

What you need to do now is find a way to boil all that down in a shorter period of time. I think you need to come up with a MegaBoiler or MegaKettle now... I'm thinking something steamjacketed.

My favorite pick. You still haven't told us how many rolls of solder you used on this damn contraption. That's some QUALITY workmanship.

Like I told you on Saturday, I'm a f'ing NURSE, not a plumber. I can sweat a joint and it won't leak. I never said it would be pretty.

Besides, who said lead was a problem? The Federal Gubment? What do they know about brewing? Or plumbing? Or brewing AND plumbing together? Nothing!!! Or at least not nearly as much as yours truely!

PTN

LOL... yeah, let's put Paul The Plumber to work with steam under pressure... NOTHING can go wrong there.

"Today in local news, an attached garage in Norton was leveled to the ground by what appeared to be a pedophile and Vince Wilfork running a meth lab of some sort. An explosion was heard for up to three miles away as a peice of equipment apparently malfunctioned, causing the devistation."

Oh... that and the overshooting the grain bill by about 30 lbs of two-row 'cause you were your normal Brew-Hitler "I'm Paul, I'm always right" self during the session and got caught with your head up your a$$.

Thanks for your "modifications".

Yeager caught Paul with his head where it shouldn't be.

looking for a car.jpg

Good broadcast boys, and I am glad that everything work out so well (boilovers aside)! I ended up catching a nice glow locally toasting with you, and don't have the strongest of memories about the Bruins - Canucks game, but I was enthusiastic about it! Hopefully I can make it up to the next one, I've been AWOL at too many of these.

It's just not the same without you, Hippie. It's also not the same without the f'ing drive to Ipswich after you missed the last train home by a good eight hours. And despite how pissed off SWMBO was when I didn't crawl into bed until 3 am last year, I laughed so hard on that drive that I'd do it again tomorrow.

PTN

I was at work this afternoon when I get this panic phone call from Paul on his way to wendells after leaving my house and picking up about a third of his gear including MegaTun....

"Chris", he says, "I just found a bag of hop plugs on the saw horse table in your garage with 5 ounces of saaz hops in it. I have this really bad feeling..."

"Paul", I said " I picked up the ingredients, we only got pellets, you laid them all out on the table in 4 ounce piles for each addition and I saw you put them all in at the right times."

"I know but I think those were ours."

"No, we only got pellets, and the f...ing recipe doesn't call for saaz. Let's ask the guys on the board if they left hops at my house"

"Dont do that man, not till you get home and check and make sure that they aren't ours. Man i don't want this to be screwed up by missing the hop additions. Cape will never stop riding my a.. And not in the good way"

"ok Paul, but we only used pellets and there were no saaz in the f...ing recipe!!!!!!!"

Needless to say he left the bag at my house instead of really taking note of what was in the bag and the only hops in the bag were plugs, and saaz, which WE DID NOT USE IN THE RECIPE!!!!!! So all is well and I just wanted you all to know that he was panicking again today.

On another note, Cape, my neighbor comes up to me while he was there and says, "there is something wrong with this IPA, it has an odd flavor". I told him to go get my IPA off the tap upstairs, he did and drank a few more of those. I didn't have the heart to tell him about the oxyclean......

Yes, I found a paper bag of hops hidden in a corner in Yeager's garage. And I did panic. I thought we might have missed a hop addition. I relied on Chris to keep track of the recipe and all that went into it. I was focused on a few other items. When it came time for hop additions I relied on Yeager and never felt comfortable with releasing total control.

I will admit that my arse was puckered up a touch more than I may have let on, and the idea of screwing the pooch scared me to death. I would gladly sacrifice Yeager's virgin ass to the gods to avoid having to listen to 'You Know Who' crowing that we had screwed up this brew. So shoot me, I'm human.

Now, if you will all excuse me for a while, I'm going to go pull Yeager's intestines up though his mouth and feed them to his yapping dog.

PTN

Really wish I could have been back home for this one!!

Plus I'd really like the tutorial on how to cast a mash tun return out of pure tin....

On another note, Cape, my neighbor comes up to me while he was there and says, "there is something wrong with this IPA, it has an odd flavor". I told him to go get my IPA off the tap upstairs, he did and drank a few more of those. ...

Of course... if he's a neighbor of yours he's probably used to everything having effin blueberry in it. No wonder it tasted "odd". It's called about a lb of dry hop.

"hey, this IPA tastes funny, it is really bitter. How come your blueberry IPA doesn't taste this bitter."
"oh, my SWMBO doesn't allow me to go over 25 IBUs. She sats it takes away from the blueberry"

Speaking of hops, I found an ounce of Magnum(?) pellets on Chris's brew rig by the back door of the garage towards the end of the night. Not sure where they were supposed to go but they didn't make it in any wort.

DrinksWellWithOthers said:
Speaking of hops, I found an ounce of Magnum(?) pellets on Chris's brew rig by the back door of the garage towards the end of the night. Not sure where they were supposed to go but they didn't make it in any wort.

Those were mine from a batch where i had to many and never used that ounce. :)

Awesome time as usual. And god damn I am not photogenic!!! Great beer, great food, and bunch of Massholes. Doesn't get any better.

Don't feel bad, Josh, you're a he'll of a lot better looking than Cape.

Plan is to stir and oxygenate again on Saturday, we'll do the first maple strip addition at that time. Hopefully Yeager will post up the gravity readings without having to be prompted. We've agreed to TRY to not pester each other as much this year, I won't ask 25 questions a day and he'll answer the ones I do ask in a timely manner. At least that's the plan. We'll see.

PTN

Man you *&@holes look what you have done. By the end of this thread I can already see the divorce coming next year when I say "honey I'm going to *&#@%ing Massachusetts to watch a bunch of nit-wits brew an insane beer and get drunk" and she says "*&@# @*#@%& @#%&@#%*% @#&@#%".

:D

You guys are totally nuts. Did I mention I MUST witness this feat next year. ??? :confused: :fro: :D

well, let me say that this was my first time witnessing this "special brew" brew day, and it was f'ing awesome...I do have to thank cape for bringing his specially "oxyclean" IIIPA, that stuff was yummy...and the other stuff he brought was amazing...I unfortunately had to leave around 2 in the afternoon because of other committments, but I can tell ya, if this debauchery goes on next year, I dont care if the president himself is coming to dinner, i am not leaving because I did miss out on that braided bacon filled with pork, cheese and chutney..as I said earlier, I had a wonderful time and look forward to another gathering to brew some awesome beer..

bah... the U brew is nuthin' more than a "kick the snow off the tires" event that starts off the year. You guys are talkin' like it is the Daytona 500.

U Brew is NFL Week 1 for the beer year 'round these pahts.

We've got an Old Ale in a Jim Beam Barrel brew coming up SOON... probably in the next two or three weeks.

Consecration in a wine barrel... that's getting made again. (grain for both barrel brews is already bought)

Our club is doing a wheat wine in a used Sam Adams Utopia barrel.

all of this will lead into the 3rd Annual Norton International Homebrew Festival and Competition...

then you've got Masstoberfest again...

Hell, we're just heatin' strike water at this point.

Yeah... Our club doesn't suck. We fought for about a year to keep Paul out but he finally fought his way in. Luckily he doesn't make too many meetings though.

The Old Ale and Consecretion aren't "club sactioned" though... although that'll be a few of us from the club, we are doing those among ourselves.

The wheat wine will be an "official" club brew, open to all members.

The Norton Interna... blah blah blah... is my pig roast. That is the "official" club cookout for the summer but is also "my" cookout. I invite family and some friends and split the cost of the cookout with the club. (a majority of the folks are club members and guests). 240lb pig and 21 taps last year.

Masstoberfest... you know the deal there. That's Paul's cute little attempt to cook a pig.

Back