Yet another cold crash starsan suck back thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beersnob16

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Baltic Porter, fermented in the low 50's [used 34/70 and needed a blow off], hit the Drest once I hit 1.025 gravity and let the beer finish out [finished at 1.010], then dropped the temp to 34 for lagering, this is when everything went bad. I received a call from work [I travel all over the world] and was informed that I needed to be packed and ready to travel to Malaysia the next morning so I dropped what I was doing and got things done, fast forward 6 weeks, I get home to find that while I was gone about 1/2 gallon of starsan was sucked back into the fermenter and my ferm chamber somehow became unplugged. From looking at other posts about this on here I know the starsan usually separates from the beer and can be siphoned off, however, in my case it seems to have mixed in with the beer and there is no definitive line where the starsan stops and the beer starts. I am going to be pulling it out of the ferm chamber tonight or tomorrow to pull a gravity sample and taste it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Hopefully this beer isn't ruined.

I had the same thing happen to an IPA of mine, except it was only about 6oz of Star San. It completely mixed with the beer and I was nervous but the beer came out fine. I would imagine a half gallon would have more of an impact but there's only one way to find out!

I definitely plan on trying it, the problem I have is the fact that I have no idea when the ferm chamber got unplugged.

Back