Grain bag squeezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWess

Reaction score
One of LHBSs in Denver, in the instructions in an extract kit advises me not to squeeze the grain bag after steeping the grains, (they do advise letting the bag drip). Me, I always squeeze the excess liquid out of the grain bag. I was wondering what is wrong with squeezing the grain bag.

Nothing will happen if you don't squeeze. If you DO squeeze, you run the risk of adding tannins to the beer (astringency) as stated.

If you want to make absolutely sure you are getting all the goodness form the grain possible, the recommended procedure is to rinse the grains with one or two quarts of warm water.
Pez.

P.S. I do not squeeze or rinse my steeping grains and have nver lacked for flavor or color

I'm a firm believer that squeezing the grain bag will extract nothing that hasn't already gotten into the water via steeping. I just can't think of any physical reason why it would make a difference. Plus there are commercial breweries that literally squeeze their grains dry: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brewery/sustainable-brewing/brewhouse-innovation.html

In terms of homebrewing old wives' tales, I think it's about on par with sugar causing cidery flavors.

I'm a firm believer that squeezing the grain bag will extract nothing that hasn't already gotten into the water via steeping. I just can't think of any physical reason why it would make a difference. Plus there are commercial breweries that literally squeeze their grains dry: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brewery/sustainable-brewing/brewhouse-innovation.html

In terms of homebrewing old wives' tales, I think it's about on par with sugar causing cidery flavors.

While I agree that it seems like an old wives tale, that page never states that they extract any fluid through squeezing. Or did I miss it?

While I agree that it seems like an old wives tale, that page never states that they extract any fluid through squeezing. Or did I miss it?

I guess that page doesn't actually give much detail. This press release is a little better: http://www.2beerguys.com/blog/2009/05/31/alaskan_brewing_co_01/

It mentions that they conducted a blind tasting using both techniques and only decided to go ahead with the press when they couldn't tell the difference.

I brewed my first batch, a partial /extract back at the beginning of May. I'm just starting to drink it now and I can say that squeezing the bag didn't really seem to cause any off flavors. It's got other issues, like chill haze, but the color is nice and the yeast seems to have cleaned up any "odd" flavors that bag squeezing might have caused.

Next partial/extract batch I brew I will know better, but just didn't want you to worry if you're already past the point of no return on this batch.

From that page it sounds like they dry the grains just so they can ship them to farms. Seems like a big waste of time and money to send grain to farms.

We need to put this, "squeezing the grain bag" rote answer, brewer's myth aside., It is not true.

There's no reason not to squeeze.....that's another old brewer's myth that has been misunderstood...and has been shot down..But if often just get's repeated as ROTE without anyone stopping to look beyond the just repeating the warning...

Read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/do-you-squeeze-bag-biab-177051/?highlight=squeeze

And this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/squeezing-grain-bag-bad-175179/?highlight=squeeze

From Aussie Homebrewer.com

Tannins And Astringency

If you are worried about squeezing your bag too much or crushing too fine, relax! Astringent beers do not come from finely crushed or squeezed husks but come rather from a combination of high temperatures and high pH. These conditions pull the polyhenols out of the husk. The higher your pH and the higher temperature you expose your grain to, the worse the problem becomes. Any brewer, traditional or BIAB, should never let these conditions arrive. If you do allow these conditions to arrive, then you will find yourself in exactly the same position as a traditional brewer. Many commercial breweries actually hammer mill their grain to powder for use in mash filter systems because they have control of their pH and temperatures. This control (and obviously expensive complex equipment) allows them non-astringent beers and “into kettle,” efficiencies of over 100%.

As long as you keep your steeping temps below 170, you won't be producing those supposed tannins that folks blindly say you would be squeezing out.

1) If your PH is off, or your steeping/mashing temp is above 170, your beer will extract tanins from the husks whether you squeeze or not

2) If your PH is ok, and your temps were below 170, squeeze away!

There's been some tests that have disproved the whole "don't squeeze the grain bag, because you will leech tannins" idea. I think there's even been a couple experiments on here detailed in threads. I think it's been pretty well shot down as one of those "old school" beliefs, that turn out to have little effect.

In fact if you are doing AG "Brew in a Bag" you are encouraged to squeeze the grain bag. They even showed it on basic brewing recently, the took a ladder with a hook attached, hung the grain bag, and twisted the hell out of it to drain every ounce of precious wort out of bag of grain.

This should launch as an mp-4

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbv01-16-10cornpils.mp4

So is that's the case, that it is "OK" to do in AG Brew in the bag, then why would it really be bad in extract with grains brewing?

I wouldn't worry about it.

From BYO, MR Wizard;

The two most influential factors affecting the extraction of tannins from malt into wort are pH and temperature. All-grain brewers are very careful not to allow wort pH to reach more than about pH 6 during sparging because tannin extraction increases with pH. In all-grain brewing wort pH typically rises during the last stages of wort collection and is one of the factors letting the brewer know that wort collection should be stopped.....

Temperature also affects tannin extraction. This relationship is pretty simple. If you don’t want to run the risk of getting too much tannin in your wort, keep the temperature just below 170° F.

This is where the answer to your last question begins. You ask whether steeping and sparging released "unwanted tannins" in your beer. For starters, all beer contains tannins. Some tannins are implicated in haze and some lend astringent flavors to beer.

The type most homebrewers are concerned about are those affecting flavor. In any case, it is up to the brewer to decide if the level of tannins in their beer is too high. The (in)famous decoction mash is frequently recommended when a brewer is in search of more malt flavor. Decoction mashes boil malt and — among analytical brewers who are not afraid of rocking the boat with unpopular ideas — are known to increase the astringent character associated with tannins. In general I wouldn’t consider 170° F dangerously high with respect to tannin extraction. However, if you believe your beers may suffer because of too much astringency, consider adjusting your steep pH and lowering the temperature a few degrees.

So quit repeating this urban legend, gang. All of a sudden it is OK to squeeze for brew in a bag.....so how is it different really, from extract with grains??? Think on it before you regurgitate the same old hackneyed answers next time, gang.

:mug:

Revvy, The Sept. issue2009 VOL 15 NO 5 Brew Your Own has an article in it "help me Nr. Wizard" by Ashton Lewis, that emphatically states NOT to squeeze the grain bag. It is the issue with the airlocks on the cover, page 15.

However, the reason was NOT astringency and tannins, but haze forming trub, grain particles and maybe, possible polyphenol extraction. He suggests the proper technique to avoid any of these possible outcomes is to rinse instead of squeeze.

After thinking this over, I believe that rinsing is the first best way to do it, but squeezing is NOT the absolute no-no we have been told.

Pez.

We need to put this, "squeezing the grain bag" rote answer, brewer's myth aside., It is not true.

So quit repeating this urban legend, gang. All of a sudden it is OK to squeeze for brew in a bag.....so how is it different really, from extract with grains??? Think on it before you regurgitate the same old hackneyed answers next time, gang.

I don't know for 100% certainty one way or another, but I'm an AG brewer and I don't squeeze my grains to get more wort out. The big breweries don't either. If not, why not? They could definitely get more wort out if they did. Must be a reason.

I don't think I'm "regurgitating the same old hackneyed answers", but what do I know? I'm just a lowly brewer.

I liken it to a tea bag. If you brew the tea at the right temp for the right amount of time you can squeeze the bag and get a bit more properly brewed tea. If it sits too long or too hot and you squeeze you wind up with a poorer tasting cup of tea.

I once asked this question to the tech support folks at Briess and they indicated that squeezing the grains will not add additional tannins to the wort. FWIW. So, if you really need that extra 2 cups of liquid to make your extract brew the talk of the town, squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Of course, the flip side of all this is what exactly do you GAIN by squeezing instead of rinsing, letting it drip, or none of the above?

A tiny extra bit of color?? better flavor??? Can it be noticed??

It sems to me that these issues should be adressed by volume and temperature of the steep water instead of manipulation of the grain bag.

Pez.

EDIT - It would be kinda neat to split a wort into two pots, Then squeeze the bejeezus out of the grain bag into one of them and taste test the final beers.

As a BIAB brewer, I do squeeze the grain bag. There is no way that it will drain as much without the squeeze. No deleterious effects to report....

Of course, the flip side of all this is what exactly do you GAIN by squeezing instead of rinsing, letting it drip, or none of the above?

A tiny extra bit of color?? better flavor??? Can it be noticed??

It sems to me that these issues should be adressed by volume and temperature of the steep water instead of manipulation of the grain bag.

Pez.

Well, if you are doing AG brew in a bag, you are getting up to, if not more, than a gallon of mashed wort, that would otherwise be lost to grain absorbtion. All that yummy converted sugar would go to waste.

Well, if you are doing AG brew in a bag, you are getting up to, if not more, than a gallon of mashed wort, that would otherwise be lost to grain absorbtion. All that yummy converted sugar would go to waste.

I was specifically thinking of the specialty grains being steeped in a bag by the extract brewer, not base malts for the AG brew-n-bag crew.

Pez.

I was specifically thinking of the specialty grains being steeped in a bag by the extract brewer, not base malts for the AG brew-n-bag crew.

Pez.

But....even if it is for extract, there is a LOT of flavor/sugars on those grains, and squeezing them will give, however the amount the comes out, in the few pounds of extract steeped some good flavor. Whether it's an ounce of liquid or a gallon or more, gran absorption is still happening.

Brewing myth or not, I don't know why anyone would squeeze a steeping bag for the small amount of possible benefit.

Over the first two years of brewing, I never worried about HSA because I was always being told it was a myth. 2 or 3 months ago, I decided on a whim to be more careful about not introducing oxygen to the hot wort. That beer turned out to be one of my better brews by a long way. Now, I have no idea if it was some other factor that was the reason for this, and I don't really care to experiment to prove or disprove this "Myth".......Frankly, it's not significantly more work to avoid HSA just as it's easier to not squeeze the bag. If one is worried about getting every minute bit of flavour out of the grain, why not simply use and extra tablespoon of grain and not worry about it?

I thought HSA was only a (possible) problem post-boil, as oxygen introduced before gets boiled away?

Brewing myth or not, I don't know why anyone would squeeze a steeping bag for the small amount of possible benefit.

Over the first two years of brewing, I never worried about HSA because I was always being told it was a myth. 2 or 3 months ago, I decided on a whim to be more careful about not introducing oxygen to the hot wort. That beer turned out to be one of my better brews by a long way. Now, I have no idea if it was some other factor that was the reason for this, and I don't really care to experiment to prove or disprove this "Myth".......Frankly, it's not significantly more work to avoid HSA just as it's easier to not squeeze the bag. If one is worried about getting every minute bit of flavour out of the grain, why not simply use and extra tablespoon of grain and not worry about it?

I would disagree with your first assessment. I think you get more benefit out of it then you indicate, and certainly more than that which an extra tablespoonof grain would yield. I used to get a lot of extra color and potentially flavor ouT of squeezing my bag of steeping grains when I used to do extract batches. To each their own of course...

Secondly, I once did care enough to test the "myth" myself just for grins. I brewed two identical batches of beer (AG), and one I just agitated the crap out of the entire time. I vorlaufed rowdy, stirred the crap out of it right before chilling, just did everything you could think of to introduce O2 into the process. The second batch I was super careful with, very gentle and tried not to introduce any O2 until right before pitching. My results? The first one actually came out better. I realize this isn't exactly scientific or a large sample size, but I was sufficiently convinced that HSA is not an issue with my homebrews....

That's just my two cents. IMHO, SQUEEZE AWAY!......:mug:

The typical extract with grains recipe has one pound of specialty grains, sometimes more, sometimes less. The last half dozen batches I brewed all had an even pound.
Just how much goodness can you squeeze out of the bag after it has finished steeping and dripping? A few ounces???? I find it hard to believe I'm missing out on noticeable flavor or color in a five gallon batch by not squeezing.

If there is any chance of badness from squeezing the grain bag, I gotta believe this offsets the ability to extract a tiny bit more liquid from the specialty grains .

Since there are reputable sources that say completely different things on this issue, I will just rinse with hot water.
Pez.

I don't squeeze my sack because I don't feel the process is all that repeatable. If I want to make the beer again, it would be difficult to make sure I grabbed my sack with the proper grip and strength.

All puns aside, this might be why the big breweries don't either.

All puns aside, this might be why the big breweries don't either.

Big breweries don't do steeping grains in sacks, nor do they do brew in a bag, so that's really not a good argument againts it, is it? ;)

Could you imagine how big a sack they'd need for 5bbl of beer? They'd prolly need something like this to dunk it if they did.

CRANE%20I%20PAINTED%20(2)%20(Small).jpg

I can't believe I'm actually gonna agree with Remmy on something. Hell must be frigid today.

This is really interesting from Sierra Nevada;

Sierra Nevada has received the WRAP Award (Waste Reduction Awards Program) from the State of California yearly since 2001, and in 2002 was named one of the top ten recipients of the WRAP of the Year Award for the company's extraordinary waste reduction awareness programs.

Most of our spent brewing materials find a beneficial secondary use in our local agricultural community. Many local dairy cows also enjoy our brews (although without the alcohol). In conjunction with the Agricultural Department at California State University, Chico, Sierra Nevada provides feed for dairy and beef cows through the spent grain, hops, and yeast it has collected. Spent trub produced from the wort boiling process is almost pure protein, and is added to the spent grain.

The surplus spent yeast from fermentation is used as a nutritional supplement for cows, and the compost from the cow manure is used as fertilizer for Sierra Nevada’s onsite 9-acre experimental hop field.

Really, how many pounds of grain does a commercial brewery go through in a year? What esle should they do with it? I have enough trouble getting rid of the 15 pounds I may use on a given brew day. I live in a loft, so I don't even have a yard to compost in.

You do a web search on this and end up about 50/50 either way. http://search.netzero.net/search?ac...urce=hybrid_zerobar&query=Grain bag squeezing

This would make an interesting side-by side comparison test.

OTOH: I don't squeeze my mash out, and a rinse of it (sparging) is sufficient to get the flavor from the grains--so, what's wrong w/ a rinse of the grains and no risk of tannin extraction?

You have to realize, that just like the whole long primary discussion, some of the thoughts in favor of bag squeezing are new, and are coming about because of thfact that BIAB brewers DO squeeze. BIAB is old to Aussie brewers, but is relatively new to us Americans. I mean we really first heard about it a little over a year ago, when John Palmer wrote about it in BYO, along with No chill brewing. You should see some of the flame war threads on here about No chill. It got nasty.

And then many Aussie brewers jumped in laughing at us about some of the arguments folks were making about it, and reminded us that they've been doing no chill for decades and no one died from Botchulism or any of the other stuff folks on here were bringing up.

So of course you're going to find mixed info on the webs. Folks have been mindlessly repeating the "Don't squeeze you'll extract tannins" line verbatum for years. Hell, I can be accused of doing it too. But it wasn't until I started reading and seeing the info on BIAB, where people were indeed squeezing their bags, that I started questioning that "conventional wisdom," and looking at the info on tannin extractions. And eveidently other folks were doing the same thing.

You can't go by the statistics of the web search to give you a valid answer, try this do a google on Autolysis annd long primaries. You will see there are more hits on autolysis, because for the same reason; folks online have been repeating the same info about that verbatum as well. But it's only been in the last couple years, especially this last year that folks like palmer, and Jamil, and Basic Brewing, and BYO have seriously started doing what we've been doing, and getting beaten for, for the last 4 years, re-examining their beliefs on the role of yeast post fermentation, and the de-emphasis on autolysis.

Ideas change, info changes, science changes, and that's why I get down on the "old info" being repeated nearly verbatum over and over and over. Just look at all the treads in the similar threads box below and see how many times the answered is phrased exactly like ths "Don't squeeze you'll extract tannins" as the entire answer to the post.

With no change in phraseology, and no more information provided, just what they were told, by someone who was told it, by someone who had it repeated verbatum to them. With no questioning of it, no bothering to look at actual info on tannin production in beer, (Like the articles in BYO, and Aussie Braft brewer.) We just keep repeating over and over what we've been told, like a broken record.

But you can't do that, you gotta look beyond the rote, and especially look at the NEW ideas, NEW information, and NEW answers.

Heck, how many of you have actually read the HARD COPY version of "How to Brew" or only have read the first edition, the online one? How many of you even know there's a hard copy edition, actually by now more than one, iirc?

Do you know that Palmers, CHANGED some of them things he's written since the online version?

Palmer has since made some changes in the book since the online versions, including his explanation of Ibus, and his ideas about using a secondary.

Just like any book, things change with the time. The problem has been, since the online edition is so readily available and we recommend it so often here, people think the info is "gospel" and don't know that it's been changed in later editions in light of new knowledge and science.

It's a great start, but forums like this and on podcasts are where you hear the most state of the art info on brewing. If someone like papazian or palmer so much as farts new info, more than likely one of us has heard the podcast and will post before the gas even clears in the studio. Plus many of our brewers on here are in the forefront of beer knowlege, and have appeared on podcasts or in Byo or Zymurgy magazine.

Here's the stuff on IBU's that pretty much contradict what he originally wrote.

Basic Brewing Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:30 PM
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU). Click to listen, MP-3

And here's a thread with his changing of his views on secondaries, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/ though as you can see, STILL some old dogs can't be taught new tricks.

But if you don't KNOW that Palmer's changed his views, and ideas since the online, and all you quote verbatum is the online edition, then who's right, and who's wrong? WHat info is truly valid or not?

That's all I wanted you to do, to think about it before you simply epeat the just repeat the "don't squeeze you'll extract tannins" line that you you've heard......It may no longer be the ONLY answer....Nor may be the "correct" one.

Big breweries don't do steeping grains in sacks, nor do they do brew in a bag, so that's really not a good argument againts it, is it? ;)

Could you imagine how big a sack they'd need for 5bbl of beer? They'd prolly need something like this to dunk it if they did.

CRANE%20I%20PAINTED%20(2)%20(Small).jpg

Maybe I should've been more specific, but just because there is no gigantic 20bbl sized grain bag, doesn't mean you can't squeeze the grain after draining. Alaska apparently does, but I haven't heard of any others, although it is probably not all that publicized.

I think that with all of our well thought out conversation on the topic, I think some folks are missing the main point Revvy, and others, are really trying to make: Who cares if there is/is not much benefit in squeezing the grain bag - the point is, why spread unfounded rumours as fact (such as Tannin extraction from squeezing - OoOOoooOOooOo) which give people unreasonable fears, which in turn give way to unnessecary brewing habits/practices that take away from the relaxing hobby that is brewing?

I mean really? The sky is falling chicken little - squeeze or don't squeeze who cares. Fact is, it won't hurt you much either way. And you will not go blind ;)

I mean really? The sky is falling chicken little

Is that the sort of thing you really read into other people's posts?

The guy asked a question, and everyone answered to the best of their knowledge. That's why it's called a forum. The OP got his answers, but to suggest that people are getting all bent out of shape about it is just silly, and somewhat disrespectful.

Back