Brew area layout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
I'd appreciate anyone's advice that has setup a dedicated indoor brewing space. I am sure I am forgetting some critical things. Pics are taken from both directions standing on the floor drain for reference.

I have a very odd shaped unfinished area in my basement. I have the green light to run 240V power down there and mark my territory with my hobby. This is a seriously low budget endeavor. As of now my goal between finding the deals I have found and friends helping me with the wiring I am hoping to have this ready to brew for around $700 :tank: That does not count all the equipment I already own, just what I am spending above and beyond that.

Two keezers are shown because I am unsure where it will end up. Likely over by the ferm chamber (both chest freezers) The items in red are still needed to be purchased or be picked up. Picking up the sink and brew table this weekend and starting the process of removing all the "junk" and bringing in some things slowly and putting them in place to get a feel for how tight this space will really be.

• Overhead HVAC trunk lines make that area storage only dues to height restrictions
  • Vent will go out the side of the house where the sump pump discharges
  • Main electric panel is in the garage, but somewhat easy to get 240V to the basement.
  • Water line is PEX and right above my head, so that's not a difficult task
  • Brew table I am getting from a club member has 75% of what I need as far as a control panel goes. I will be using my cooler MT, bottom drain keggle for my HLT/BK, one pump and a CFC chiller. May eventually have a dedicated 3 vessel setup and use the CFC as a HERMS, but that is a long ways down the road.

Basement%20Brewroom%20Opt%202-X2.jpg

IMG_6940-X2.jpg
IMG_6941-X2.jpg

This
IMG_6939-X2.jpg

View attachment Basement Brewroom Opt 2.pdf

where would your sink drain? if that sump is for other than stormwater, consider moving the sink to the other side of the brew table to reduce piping.

what is the plan for makeup air when the vent is running?

Sink will drain into the drain by the furnace via a pice of 1.5" diameter hose.

Make up air will be cracking a window in the finished part of the basement and leaving the door to the unfinished part open.

I think your sink is plenty fancy. :)

I'm sure this is a throwaway idea, but... can you put a door from this part of the basement into your garage? ...and then brew in the garage/driveway when the weather is nice? There may be building code issues that you cannot overcome, even if you wanted to do this. I mention this idea because it is similar to my setup, which I enjoy. However, I enjoy brewing outdoors regardless of the weather (I claim), so there's that.

We have basements here in Iowa [emoji6] the garage is one level above.

Yes, I've been there. Typically, plan views show only one level. Also, my "basement" is on the same level as my garage. Maybe the difference is that Iowa is flat -- unless you are on a bike.

Garage is at the main/upper level sorry for the poor response! I was a bit in the sauce. [emoji481] Man I wish I had a walk out basement, I'd have a long cord made to be able brew outside. Not the dad in this home. We will be moving in 4 years so I don't want to go too overboard

I would place the laundry sink beside the sewer pipe, and plumb it.
That may still happen. I just figured keeping it all in a line would make it flow better and limit me tripping over any hoses during chilling, cleaning, etc. I am keeping that in the back of my head once we start tapping into existing lines.

Back