2 x 12 Collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giblets

Reaction score
The chest freezer I bought is already 3 feet tall, and I don't have to bend over to reach a hypothetical tap that would be 4-6 inches above the freezer. It would also fit 6 kegs already so I don't need the benefit of adding a real tall collar just so I can add 2 more kegs, but has anyone built a 12-inch high collar? I think a 2x12 will make it unnecessarily high and it's hard to come by a good quality one that won't warp. I haven't seen any 12-inch high collars on here, but I've read that others would have done it if they could do it over again so I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried it.

I used a 2x12 for my collar and love it. There is so much room I have six kegs, 5lbs tank, and enough room for a case of bottles in there.

The trick is going to a real lumber yard and getting your wood there. The one that is by me pays a kid to go through the lumber as it arrives and reject all the warped, knotty crap. Lowes and Home Depto cater to the weekend warrior and not the carpenters and custom cabinet makers of the world.

I used 2X10 red oak. its perfect looking however its no longer possible for me to touch the bottom of my freezer.

Back