Carbing 4 kegs at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I brewed up 40 gallons worth (8 cornies) for a party next weekend. I have a 4 way manifold so I can carbonate 4 kegs at once, and the first 4 have been carbing for a week at 10 psi. Once these are done carbing (probably today/tomorrow), I'll start carbing the last 4. Am I going to need to hit the first 4 with a blast of CO2 intermittently so the lids will set properly? I usually just leave them hooked up and sitting at 10 psi.

Refer to this image...
forcecarbillustrated.gif

the way you describe carbing, will take 2+ weeks to carbonate. (the green line)

If you want to carb in a week, you should try this procedure (Blue line)

1: hit em with 30PSI to seal the lid
2: leave 30PSI for 2 days
3: disconnect gas and bleed pressure in cornies
4: reconnect at 10PSI for 5 days

that should get you a good level of carbonation in 7 days. Some people like to shake them to carb faster, but I have always overcarbed (Red line) when i try that.

As long as your kegs have no gas leaks, you should be fine to leave them and not need to hit them with more gas. Mabye switch the gas back to the original 4 the day before the party just to be sure.

Arkador, that's how I usually carb my kegs (30 psi for 2 days) and it works out fine. Most are very drinkable after 1 week, and usually better at 2. I figured 10 psi for 2 weeks would be ample for the first 4 kegs, then 30 psi for 2 days (then dropped to 10) would be good for the last 4.

Arkador, that's how I usually carb my kegs (30 psi for 2 days) and it works out fine. Most are very drinkable after 1 week, and usually better at 2. I figured 10 psi for 2 weeks would be ample for the first 4 kegs, then 30 psi for 2 days (then dropped to 10) would be good for the last 4.

should do the trick!

You asked about sealing the lids. They should stay sealed if you carbed the kegs. The small amount of CO2 coming out of solution will keep the pressure up high enough to keep a good seal. If you are worried about it just hit them with CO2 every now and then.

Latest posts

Back