Questions regarding a possible FAIL on my part.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb3189

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have brewed four batches so far but I as of this weekend I had never used the Muntons Pilsner canned kit that came with my original beer kit. So I thought **** it I will do a quick no boil brew.

If I remember correctly the directions called for me to place can in warm water for 5 min then pour directly into my primary. I used a carboy because my primary is occupied. Is this ok?

Additionally, the directions called for me to shake up/stir the extract into the water, which I did. However, I looked at it today and the extact seems to mostly be sitting on the bottom of the carboy. Is this ok?

Finally, I did not remember at the time but I live in Boston and we have a boil water order emergency on because a line broke that apparently delivers water to all of Boston and the surrounding areas. This is mostly what I am concerned about. I drank the water by accident this weekend and was fine. The yeast I used seem to be doing there thing nicely so is this something I should be concerned about.

Thanks,
Steve

From what I've heard/read, they used to brew beer because they couldn't trust the water...

The only thing that would have concerned me about the Boston situation would be if the city decided to add more chlorine to combat any potential bacteria from the break, but if your yeast is eating up the sugars, you probably don't have anything to worry about...

Additionally, the directions called for me to shake up/stir the extract into the water, which I did. However, I looked at it today and the extact seems to mostly be sitting on the bottom of the carboy. Is this ok?

I would be a bit worried about this. It has been a while since I did a kit brew, however I remember that you had to mix/stir very vigorously to make sure the wort and water mixed thoroughly. If it looks like it has separated in the carboy I would say that it wasn't mixed up enough initially.

Did you give it a good vigorous mix when you added the water?

I would be a bit worried about this. It has been a while since I did a kit brew, however I remember that you had to mix/stir very vigorously to make sure the wort and water mixed thoroughly. If it looks like it has separated in the carboy I would say that it wasn't mixed up enough initially.

Did you give it a good vigorous mix when you added the water?

I did give it a good mix. Guess im boned. I think I will still drink it though.

Back