Saved time with 2 liter seltzer bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noskunk

Reaction score
I always found bottling a pain and just simply can't get a system going that works for me. I know many people have bottling down to a science but I just can't seem to get it done efficiently. Money is an issue so I can't get a keg system in the near future nor do I have the room for an additional refrigerator but want to make the bottling experience easier for myself so I am trying the 2 liter seltzer bottle idea numerous people have posted. I went to the supermaket and picked up Ten 2 liter seltzer bottles for 89 cents each and thought I would give them a try tonight. I just finished cleaning up and I'm shocked at how much time this saved on my bottling night. Other than set up (approximately 15 mins) and clean up (30 mins), I spent less than 25 mins total bottling, "capping", and storing a 5 gallon batch. This may not be record breaking for most bottlers but for me this was fast. When I was buying the seltzer today at the supermarket I saw a little device for $2.79 called a Fizz-Keeper hanging next to the seltzer bottles. It is a small plastic cap you screw onto your 2 liter bottle after you open it. It has a little squeeze pump on the top of the cap that lets you repressurize an opened bottle of seltzer, soda, and hopefully beer after opening. I tested it today on one of the seltzer bottles after I opened it and let it sit for about 4 hours after repressurizing, and for at least that short amount of time it worked. I know this thing won't get rid of the oxidation problem once I open a 2 liter bottle but it may help keep it carbonated longer after opening as I normally only drink 1-2 beers on any given night. If oxidation doesn't become a factor, this may be a realistic option to traditional bottling for me.

I'm not aware of the 2 liter bottling method but I'm assuming it's simply bottling into them. If it works for you it works..... that's my motto.

If you are interested in kegging but don't have the funds take a look at craigslist. I was able to find 2 complete kegging systems minus the corny kegs and corny taps for $80. I haven't seen such a low priced setup since but I wasn't searching everyday either. Just a thought.

Yeah, the 2L thing works well, though it can be an issue if you don't either drink with friends or drink 2L of beer by yourself in a 2 day period. You may want to try doing 1/2 of a batch in 12 oz bottles, 1/2 in 2L bottles. It may also be worth having people over on bottling days. I tend to have small parties when I brew and bottle (I usually do both on the same night) and get to hang out with people while having some extra hands for capping/labeling/etc. I also sanitize in a dishwasher, which sped things up immensely.

when 2L bottle is used, do i need to use more priming sugar? i read the plastic bottes need little more pressure to carb.

If you're batch priming (priming the whole batch by adding priming sugar into the bottling bucket and racking the beer into the sugar solution), that's fine. It doesn't take more sugar to make the same amount of carbonation as it would in a glass bottle.

If you're adding sugar individually to each bottle, then you'd use more sugar for larger bottles than smaller bottles.

I honestly can't see the advantage of using a 2L bottle over 12oz (other than they are larger). They still need to be sanitized and filled and once you get the bottles moving, 12ozers fill pretty quick.

I think the trick is having clean bottles (using PBW or OXIclean overnight before star san or whatever), and having a proper hose/wand and bottling bucket. If you don't have a bottling bucket with spigot, I highly suggest you get one. Plus a bottling wand. These two items speeded up my bottling time by a ton!

Latest posts

Back