Alternative Bottling Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I started home brewing to save money; its become apparent that I can easily spend a ton of money on equipment and supplies. With that being said, this may be a really stupid question but, ....(awe what the hell, that is what this DB is for right?) Can you bottle in used 2 or 3 liter soda bottles? I bought a beer at a football game and it was in a plastic bottle?!?!?!?!? Could it withstand the carbonation forces?

I don't see why not. I've considered doing it. You'll want to be careful with light since the bottles are clear but they should hold.

Welcome, by the way.

Oops.. homebrewing is not a way to get cheaper beer (unless you're in Canada apparently). To your original question though, soda bottles are fine but keep them out of the light since they're clear.

Since soda pop is carbonated to a much higher level than beer, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't use a soda bottle to package beer. Most homebrew supply houses now carry brown PET bottles and caps. Also, most homebrew shops carry a special cap for you to artificially carbonate flat beer in a 2-liter soda bottle.

In fact, I always bottle one plastic soda bottle at bottling time. I fill it as normal. Then, after I remove the bottling wand, I squeeze the bottle until the beer is forced all the way to the rim. That's when I cap it. The sides of the bottle will retain the squeezed-in shape. As the beer carbonates, the squeezed-in shape will be forced out. Thus, you can judge the carbonation level in the beer by squeezing the bottle.

You should note that an unopened plastic soda bottle will be rock-hard, compared to a perfectly-carbonated plastic bottle of beer, due to the higher levels of carbonation in pop.

I wonder, though, why you're not buying glass bottles. I mean, PET bottles - especially the caps - wear out rapidly. Heavy brown glass beer bottles with pry-off caps last pretty much indefinitely. Here's a tip that will not only give you a supply of bottles; it'll also make you a better brewer: If you're considering making a certain style of beer, look up the benchmark commercial versions and buy a case or two of that. At the end of your supply, you'll have two cases worth of bottles and a very definite idea of what your proposed beer should taste like.

You dig?

Bob

I never bought bottles unless they have beer in them. I just save d them from the beer I bought.

But now I keg.

Wouldn't the beer go flat as it hit half empty? I used 1 liter bottles once and if I put one back in the fridge and the next day it seam flat. (This was after drinking a couple of 1 liter bottles)

I could see it being fine if you drink the 2 liter bottle in a sitting. Am I missing something:confused:

BTW McCuckerson welcome!!!!:ban:

Wouldn't the beer go flat as it hit half empty? I used 1 liter bottles once and if I put one back in the fridge and the next day it seam flat. (This was after drinking a couple of 1 liter bottles)

I could see it being fine if you drink the 2 liter bottle in a sitting. Am I missing something:confused:

BTW McCuckerson welcome!!!!:ban:

correct- it'll go flat pretty quickly once opened. So, you can bottle in convenient 20 oz sizes if you can only drink a smaller amount at one sitting!

If you bottle in 2 L sizes, it needs to be finished quickly because it'll go flat. Another thing I found is that you should pour the entire 2L into a pitcher, and serve from there, because re-pouring causes the yeast to resuspend and the second and third pours our of the soda bottle will be yeasty. So, I pour the entire bottle into a pitcher, and then pour that for my friends and myself.

Oops.. homebrewing is not a way to get cheaper beer (unless you're in Canada apparently). To your original question though, soda bottles are fine but keep them out of the light since they're clear.

I just made my first all-grain American Pilsner for around $20. It was darn good, and there is no way I could buy 2 cases of good beer for $10/case right? :drunk::drunk:

correct- it'll go flat pretty quickly once opened. So, you can bottle in convenient 20 oz sizes if you can only drink a smaller amount at one sitting!

If you bottle in 2 L sizes, it needs to be finished quickly because it'll go flat. Another thing I found is that you should pour the entire 2L into a pitcher, and serve from there, because re-pouring causes the yeast to resuspend and the second and third pours our of the soda bottle will be yeasty. So, I pour the entire bottle into a pitcher, and then pour that for my friends and myself.

I had planned on try one 2 liter per batch for parties and what not. Party kegs seem like too much work with all the cleaning and from what I have read their life is limited. The pitcher idea is awesome! I didn't even of that, and it would be a good presentation.

Soda bottles work fine, just keep em clean and make sure the caps don't mold over between uses since you'll be re-using those too.

Another good thing using plastic is you can just give a bottle a quick squeeze to check it's progress as it carbonates rather than opening a bottle or two week after week.

I just made my first all-grain American Pilsner for around $20. It was darn good, and there is no way I could buy 2 cases of good beer for $10/case right? :drunk::drunk:

Of course. But you forgot to figure in your equipment expenses and your time. There's more to it than the mere price of ingredients.

Anyway, yes you can bottle in plastic.

Cheers,

Bob

Of course. But you forgot to figure in your equipment expenses and your time. There's more to it than the mere price of ingredients.

Anyway, yes you can bottle in plastic.

Cheers,

Bob

I cannot quantify the time aspect..... its a labor of love. So I just need to sterilize the bottles and caps, and then make sure they are tight?:rockin::rockin:

You are correct. My first batch was bottles in 2 liter bottles, because they were handy and I was on a serious budget. Good for serving, but just like the soda, it can go flat quick. you can get a carbonator cap and some type of co2 supply, or one of the pump it up caps but your beer will oxidize quickly.

I consider the 2L soda bottle to be an unbreakable growler.

Growlers go flat quickly. Many growlers are clear glass.

An advantage to the 2L is that you can carbonate in them. I take advantage of this for small test batches.

Latest posts

Back