What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a starter of wlp810 (San Francisco Lager yeast) for the Altbier I'm brewing tomorrow. Then some general clean up and prep for a smooth brewday.

Cleaned and passivated my new stainless brew buckets. Just finishing the mash rest on 10 gallons of blonde. Other general cleaning of the brew area

Kegged my Simcoe/Amarillo IPA and it's the first time using my new in-keg dry-hopping filter gadget, so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

I'll be glad to get the bbqing done so I can take my shoes off, eat & drink some more beers after driving that truck back & forth in traffic all day.

Brewed a saison along the lines of Prairie 'Merica, except where 'Merica is a Pilsner/Nelson Sauvin SMaSH, I added a little bit of Munich and Vienna to the grain bill, and Saaz hops along with the Nelson.

Postponed a brew session until tomorrow in favor of a thorough cleaning of the entire brew line including pumps, chiller and a conical. Disassembled all ball lock valves. Everything is very shiny now :)

Me too, besides rearranging the whole room. Center of room is too cluttered, so I needed to move things around, get some boxes out & shred a lot of old mail. I'm getting tired of built-up clutter from stuff that can't go in the basement or garage.

I backed the Brewtroller rebirth kickstarter. I've always loved the idea of the product, and now that I'm converting to electric I feel the need for more automation. In the meantime I'll likely brew with something I kludge together using an Arduino mega.

Established a structure for a homebrew competition among my local Ingress team. 60% of the score will be people's choice voting, and 40% will be replicability, so that the winner will be a signature team beer that all of us can brew for events.

Gonna continue on with cleaning & re-arranging the man cave/brewery. Gotta get my Irish red bottled up if it's finally settled.

Brewed 10g BCS American IPA. I'll dry hop this to make it a little extra Amerikun.

Had a really fast start on fermentation. Pitched a 3.5L yeast starter with 2 1056 smack paks in it. I had cold crashed, decanted, then warmed it. PItched at 6pm. Blow-off rig was bubbling by 10pm.

This morning it was going great guns. The thermowell temp reading was over 68 but the fermentation chamber was down at 61 trying desperately to keep the fermentation temp down.

Okay, sorry for the back-to-back posts, but it's been a busy day in the brewery... kegged 10g of BCS American Amber. Somehow there was a little extra left on the fermenter for tasting. Even flat this is fantastic stuff. Cleaned the fermenter it came out of.

One thing I love about brewing is that there is always something to do down in the brewery. Even if it's only to keep an eye on something fermenting, or test a gravity, sterilize some mason jars, build a new gadget, make a starter. And then there are brew days - the days everything comes together. Just love it.

I kegged 5 gallons of 9 month old apfelwein, bottled a gallon of it in wine bottles, brewed a DIPA, kegged 5 gallons of strawberry blonde, cleaned some fermenters and a couple kegs, and cleaned out my tap line. Also did all the dishes and a load of laundry to appease the lady that lets me brew :D

When I get home, I'll have received my Bayou Classic SP10 burner. I'll also make a starter for my Half-Nelson IPA, to be brewed this weekend.

Bottled five gal of gluten free pumpkin beer. Initial taste suggests it will be very light tasting, is that what it's meant to taste like? Living in New Zealand I've never had opportunity to taste pumpkin beer. Those sorts of beers don't really appear anywhere.

Bottled five gal of gluten free pumpkin beer. Initial taste suggests it will be very light tasting, is that what it's meant to taste like? Living in New Zealand I've never had opportunity to taste pumpkin beer. Those sorts of beers don't really appear anywhere.

Pumpkin truly has a mild taste in and of itself. But a lot of so called "pumpkin" beers should really be called "pumpkin and spice" beers. Where theres loads of nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.

AKA . . . disgusting ;)

Cleaned a keg and my conical with 1 step this morning before breakfast..Going to keg my wild yeast experiment tonight.

Bought the ingredients for my table saison and made a starter off brett C. The brett is for a barley wine I made last year that's been adding with brett already, I'm going to make a starter to get the pitch used to high alcohol content. The idea is to add more brett so that it'll munch through the rest. It's only gone from 1.024 to 1.018 in about 10 months.

Pumpkin truly has a mild taste in and of itself. But a lot of so called "pumpkin" beers should really be called "pumpkin and spice" beers. Where theres loads of nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.

AKA . . . disgusting ;)

Some pumpkin ales have no pumpkin just the pie spices

AKA . . . disgusting ;)

Naa I made it with beautiful caramelised roast pumpkin and spices but not an overload of them. Hopefully as it matures it will develop some tasty aromas and flavour.

Looked up the NB priming calculator for Irish red & 2.2 Vco2 sounds good. Gotta get to makin' sure the bottling bucket is clean & ready to sanitize after I get 2C water boiling for a couple minutes. Gonna have to check my dry stout & see if it's ready for oaking in secondary yet.

Consumed a few, contemplated a brewing session on Sunday... and downloaded several charts and graphs concerning beer from Pinterest. shut up.

Got done bottling 10 minutes ago, got 50 1/2 bottles of Irish red. Used some orange caps this time just to be different & see how they work in the long run. Took 2 hours from set up to done. This kottbusser tastes better after conditioning a couple months & like 2 weeks fridge time. More saison aroma, but almost no saison taste anymore. Might just be getting my dry stout into secondary on oak & 8 year old bourbon tomorrow. Dng rain ruined my garlic butter chicken bbq~@@!$#$%^^#$*$%#@$@!

Back