What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned 3 "brewing" (5 gallon) kegs.
Hydrometer measurement on my mosaic/MO SMaSH (1.008) - dry hopped it.
Quality control on 2.5 gallons of flower power clone that failed to start fermenting for 48 hours. Still don't know if its worth dry hopping.

Brewing later.

Just finished bottling my first attempt at a Belgian quad! Made the Westvleteren 12 clone two months ago and bottle 12 bombers and 4 twelve oz bottles withy friend that split the batch with me. He used a Serbian yeast variety and I used the standard Westmalle strain (wlp530). Tasted amazing! Can't wait for the next 2-4 weeks to fly by!

Moved 20 gallons of Clangtoberfest to kegs for lagering.

Started reassembling my system for my Clangenator Dopplebock, a Celebrator inspired brew next weekend.

Thank you man I'm so stoked I sprung for the dual reg so I can add a second keg sometimes next month if swmbo approves ;)

That's wise. I have 4 kegs all at same pressure, image ipas, ris, and hard lemonaids at same pressures, then use the 2nd for clearing air out of fermenters, etc.

We ported another keggle, replumbed the propane manifold to handle two burners with modern fittings, and made our first 20-gallon batch (lautered into three vessels, then combined to equalize volumes and OG's in two keggles). So far, so good!

Gotta get my dry stout in secondary today with the bourbon-soaked white oak. I was also just thinking, with all the blonde ales being brewed lately, that I'm surprised no one named one after Clint Eastwood's "Blondie" character from the spaghetti westerns? " Hey Blondiiiiie...you know what you aaaaare?"?...:D Then put a close-up pic of him on the label!

Just finished bottling my first attempt at a Belgian quad! Made the Westvleteren 12 clone two months ago and bottle 12 bombers and 4 twelve oz bottles withy friend that split the batch with me. He used a Serbian yeast variety and I used the standard Westmalle strain (wlp530). Tasted amazing! Can't wait for the next 2-4 weeks to fly by!

Thank you sir! That will be my next attempt. Where did you find the clone recipe ?

Kegged a stout. Put a kegged amber in the keezer that I had primed in the keg - I'll give it a taste later when it is cold. Sampled and then topped off a barleywine that is in a bourbon oak barrel. Been in five months. Going to give it one more.

Brewed my first (dark) lager! Have only done ales so far but it's cold in my part of the world at the moment so I'm trying to take advantage of it. It's a slightly strange recipe but I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Kolsch base, a little wheat, special malt and roasted barley and then bramling cross hops (have been waiting to try them).

Now the waiting begins!

Warmed and pitched a 3.5L starter into the Rye PA I brewed yesterday.

A little slow on the trigger with that starter - shoulda had it ready to pitch yesterday.

Well, last night I cleaned and sanitized 3 kegs. Managed to clog the diptube of one of them while trying to be smart. Kegged up 12 Gallons of Centennial Blonde, cleaned my fermenters and introduced my neighbor to Two Hearted.

Tested SG on an American IPA - steady from previous 5 days ago. Primary is officially over. So I dry hopped it with 3/4 oz each of Centennial and Simcoe. The hydro taster was sweet.

Harvested a full pint of yeast slurry right before that. The 3/4" dump valve at the bottom of the conical was plugged pretty good with trub. I put on the pressurized transfer rig, hooked up the CO2 and blew it right the **** outta there - and blew a bunch of yeast all over the floor in a big ole hurry. Hilarious mess. Plenty of good clean yeast to harvest afterward so no harm done.

Also tapped an American Amber that had been carbing. Delish!

I bagged up 2 lbs of hops into ounce bags, brewed a batch of blonde for a strawberry blonde, and dry hopped 2 batches of beer. Also disconnected an empty co2 tank to replace.

Busy day. Brewed RIS. Came out at 1.103. Place raspberries in hard lemonaid. 1st dry hop in Pliny the Elder. It came out at 1.010, dry, at 9.2%. Maybe to dry, we'll see.

Got ingredients for the hefeweizen I'll brew this weekend and grabbed some 3711 for the saison I'll do over the 4th weekend.

And Jonathan Lucroy was at the LHBS, so I got an autographed ball and a few tastes of Northern Brewer's "Luuuuuuc!" double IPA recipe.

Just got sprayed in the face with some Apfelwein from a keg that I was unsure what was inside and depressed the poppit. Well I feel stupid

Finally bent a 50' x 1/2" copper tubing coil, I had laying around, into a wort chiller. I'd say it's an upgrade! Here it is, next to my old 25' x 3/8" chiller.

IMG_0955.jpg

So my wifes having the ladies over tomorrow night so I crushed grain for 15 gallons of my Skinny Blonde.
I'll be folliwing that up with my Clangenator Dopplebock on Sunday... Yeah for me!

Hauled two carboys full of sour beer up from the basement. Tomorrow I'll be combining them with a high gravity Saison that didn't carbonate and also some frozen cherries and peaches. I'm also brewing a simple blonde wort to top of the two beers I'm stealing from.
So, I'll end up with 4 one gallon variants of two different sours, and fresh wort added back in to both of the original batches.

It might be a messy and busy day, but it'll be fun and I'll end up with quite a variety.

Found the web site for Little Kings cream ale. Nearest distributor is in Lorain, OH. Gonna call'em & see if I they have a near-by place to cop a King Case for the 4th! They have the usual 7oz bottles & now 12oz King Cans too!

2 taps now on the beer fridge, pre-drilled 2 more holes for future taps (only 3 total on hand). Bought ingredients for a wheat, and need to install the drip tray and an outlet to plug that bad boy in.

Nice job!

Thanks! I'm sure they would have been gone the day they were listed had they been listed as kegs. Instead, it was "pin lock containers." Score!

I so would have done that too! I need kegs badly.

The drive kinda sucked because it was raining the whole time, but well worth saving some money. I already have 6 5 gallon and 2 3 gallon kegs but want more as part of my master plan. Eventually I want to have a fridge dedicated to seltzer and an occasional root beer for the rest of the family.

Mashing a hoppy export right now. Transferred a hefeweizen to secondary (two 3 gallon carboys, one is being soured). Going to bottle a table saison during the boil.

Good beer weekend. Yesterday: bottled two batches and attending a hop tasting with the brew club. 14 varieties individually dry hopped in Amstel Light. Snagged some free leftover hops too.

Today picked up ingredients for next 2 batches and dropped off entries for the NJ State Fair HB comp.

Sadly, I don't have good news: I had to dispose of the grains, hops and most of the yeast I had stored. No longer viable, and that is as far as I am willing to go.

There is a silver lining, though: it means that I can actually be a bit more diligent with my inventories, and only buy what I need. It also freed significant amounts of space in my freezer.

Back