Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this recipe up (AG)...used 1/2lb lactose, s-04 @64f, added 1lb of flaked oats
I also added 1oz of vanilla in the secondary...few more weeks in the carboy then I will bottle (it's for a December beer exchange with my Brewclub).

Sample tasted awesome

This beer is great as is. I have used it as a base for my Big Breakfast Stout. I think this is the best cream stout I have ever had though.

SWMBO wants an "eggnog stout", I might try and use this as a base. It made a pretty good coffee stout before.

You just planning to add nutmeg and some more lactose to achieve the eggnogness?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So completely forgot to add the brown sugar. I only brewed it 36 hrs ago and it's fermenting happily. Any thoughts if I made a simple syrup with brown sugar and water and added it now. I know my OG readings would now be essentially useless but whatever, I'd rather have it taste right.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not sure where you're getting brown sugar from for this recipe, it's not in the OP.

Regardless, 1lb of brown sugar will add 9-10 gravity points so you should be able to estimate off that. I would do like you mentioned, essentially a simple syrup and pour it in once fermentation settles down, wait till krausen starts to drop.

You just planning to add nutmeg and some more lactose to achieve the eggnogness?

That's pretty much my plan. IIRC people suggest doubling the lactose anyway so I might go 3x. Or add a portion of palm sugar maybe? Then add a nutmeg-infused rum at bottling.

So completely forgot to add the brown sugar. I only brewed it 36 hrs ago and it's fermenting happily. Any thoughts if I made a simple syrup with brown sugar and water and added it now. I know my OG readings would now be essentially useless but whatever, I'd rather have it taste right.

You mean lactose and not brown sugar, right?

wow ...drunk... made two recipes two days ago and was totally looking at the wrong one when i typed this. my bad

I brewed this with extract, so the extract version is the real thing. The AG conversion should be dead on. Both are included. I used Wyeast 1450 PC - Denny's Favorite 50. This is a summer seasonal strain, originally the discontinued BrewTek CL-50, made famous by Denny Conn. Wyeast suggests 1056 as a good substitute, but I would use Wyeast 1028 or 1084. Mine finished out at 1.020 with Denny's - just a tad higher than it is supposed to.

Coffee and chocolate hit you up front intermingled with smooth caramel flavors that become noticeable mid-palate. Nice roasty finish rounds it out. Balanced and not cloying at all, but obviously leaning slightly to the sweeter side. Very smooth and creamy. You would think at least a little coffee or chocolate is actually used in this brew, and that is where it gets the name - Deception.

Brew it. Seriously. Do it. You will not be disappointed. It will be one of the best stouts you have had.

Extract:

4.50 lb Amber Dry Extract - 53.76 %
1.5 lb Wheat Dry Extract (60% Wheat) - 16.37 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L - 8.96 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 8.96 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) - 5.97 %
0.50 lb Lactose 5.97 % (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

All-Grain (assuming 75% efficiency):

6.5 or 7 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.5 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Lactose (Boil 10 min)

0.75 oz German Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) - 27.0 IBU

1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5 min)

Mash 60 min @ 152

Ferment 1 month @ 67 degrees F
I carbonated 2 volumes, but I suppose you could go higher

Enjoy!

Hi,
I'm brewing this tomorrow :) but when I was organising ingredients that I only had 1.1 lbs wheat extract. Not ideal but I have 1.1 lb extra light DME. Is adding this much El DME too much? I know I'll have beer but how much different word it make it? Also using Nottingham yeast.

Hey OhCrap,

I would suggest using 0.4 lb of your extra light DME, so it keeps the OG the same. I don't think it will change the flavor too much.

Hey OhCrap,

I would suggest using 0.4 lb of your extra light DME, so it keeps the OG the same. I don't think it will change the flavor too much.

Sounds fair enough, but if I used the whole 1lb would it affect the flavour or just up the abv?
Or if I used the 1lb of EL DME and upped the water volume by 2 litres to compensate for the higher OG? Again would it change the flavour much? If so I'll stick with your idea

You could just use the whole .5kg, you'll add about 6 points to the OG. increase of just over 0.6%ABV. Probably won't make that big of a difference to the flavor.

Honestly, I don't usually brew with extract. I've made this beer many times all grain though. I think either way you'll end up with something you'll like

You could just use the whole .5kg, you'll add about 6 points to the OG. increase of just over 0.6%ABV. Probably won't make that big of a difference to the flavor.

Honestly, I don't usually brew with extract. I've made this beer many times all grain though. I think either way you'll end up with something you'll like

Cheers for the help, I'll stick with the .4lb since it's the first time brewing this :)

If I use midnight wheat in place of chocolate malt will that could toward some of the white wheat for body/head retention?

This was my first brew session in about a year. New baby, etc.

I followed the recipe fairly closely, using mostly what I had on hand. They only sell lactose in 1lb increments and I noticed a few posts on this thread stating to toss in a lb if you want it more "milk stouty", and I didn't want a half lb sitting around forever. I had the lb of pale malt extract from before, and wanted to use that up.

4 lb Amber Dry Extract
1lb Pale malt extract
1 lb Wheat Dry Extract
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Lactose

I am a little worried about ending up too thick at the end. My OG was 1.0785. I used Danstar Windsor yeast which I have no experience with. but see now that it is medium attenuating. I discovered only later that I have SA-05 on hand as well! (should have used instead?) It has been 12 hours and no bubbling yet.

You guys think I am going to have syrup instead of beer at the end of this?

It was funny, the guy at my LHBS said, are you going to add anything to jazz it up? Maybe some oak chips or vanilla bean or bourbon or oatmeal? I told him I was trying to build a drinker. This thing is going to be big. I doubt vanilla beans will be necessary.

Ended up going with oatmeal to go for the eggnog feel rather than extra lactose. Thought I had enough midnight wheat which I was using in place of chocolate malt - used 0.5# midnight wheat and 0.25# blackprinz (~ Carafa II); plus my roasted barley is black roasted barley. Hoping it comes out smooth to complement the 9.5% Saffron Tripel - both will be going to the office Xmas party this year.

7# Maris Otter
1# Briess C60
0.5# Black Roasted Barley
0.5# Midnight Wheat
0.25# Blackprinz
1# White Wheat
1# Quick Oats
0.5# Lactose
1 vanilla bean, 0.25 oz fresh grated nutmeg in secondary; maybe a little American oak and annatto

I can't seem to find a consensus answer to my newbie question concerning this recipe. I'll be making this with DME and steeping grains.
Do I boil the DME for the full 60 minutes, or is there a better approach? Thanks for the help.

Blanchard

I can't seem to find a consensus answer to my newbie question concerning this recipe. I'll be making this with DME and steeping grains.

Do I boil the DME for the full 60 minutes, or is there a better approach? Thanks for the help.

Blanchard

FWIW I just brewed this and had DME in for full 60 mins. I not 100% sure but it darkens the longer it boils, maillard reactions I think... :) hope this helps or that someone else can correct me

I dont make them very often anymore. ..but when I do its a full 60min boil...helps get rid of that extract flavor that I was getting in every brew...common to all of my extract brew

Eh WOW.....I've had this fermenting since 7th October and pulled a sample to check reading.....the sample was just WOW, Man I want to bottle it tnite and drink it tomorrow, I can only imagine what it'll be like when ready, due to keg this (virgin kegging) but will bottle a few and leave till news year.....why do I have to wait

brewed yesterday OG 1.066, probably let it go 4 week in primary ~ 5 weeks keg conditioning = tap keg christmas eve :mug: thanks for the sweet recipe:mug:

People suggest late addition of DME (last 20 min or so, it has already been processed and no real need to boil it for a long time). Be aware this will increase hop utilization (you should reduce hop additions and/or boil time. Any good brew shop should be able to calculate the info for you or you can hand calc from books/online free programs

Brewing this one again, only a 5G batch this time (also, first brew in 11 months!)

Using Wyeast 1028, and it's off the rafters within 12 hours, clogged the airlock after 24h and almost blew the lid off. I caught it just in time (hey, why is there all that gunk in the air lock) - use a blow off tube with this one!

Also - no starter, just pitched the smackpack. OG was right on target, 1.058.

Made the extract version last week. I scaled for a 5.5 gallon batch but OG was 1.07 so I diluted to about 6 gallons to get to 1.06. After a week, I took a sample and it tasted good but watery. Will this develop more flavour with time or did the extra half gallon water this down too much?

Kegged this evening, first ever kegged beer.... OG 1.063 FG 1.018.... Tasted fantistic. Setting up a nitro tap on sat so hopefully this works well with this stout :)

Okay so I brewed this one up a month ago. I made some mistakes in my calculations and ended up with a much bigger original gravity than I was looking for. I ended up with 1.088. To make matters worse at the homebrew shop I was talked into a danstar star English ale yeast. Now I'm sitting at 1.0526 a month later and wondering if I should just pitch a package of safale 05.

Okay so I brewed this one up a month ago. I made some mistakes in my calculations and ended up with a much bigger original gravity than I was looking for. I ended up with 1.088. To make matters worse at the homebrew shop I was talked into a danstar star English ale yeast. Now I'm sitting at 1.0526 a month later and wondering if I should just pitch a package of safale 05.

What temperature did you mash at? Or did you do the extract version?

Extract. I did two lbs of wheat and a whole lb of lactose that i know will not finish out... I had a strong boil. Still too high. Did I just brew a RIS?

Extract. I did two lbs of wheat and a whole lb of lactose that i know will not finish out... I had a strong boil. Still too high. Did I just brew a RIS?

What was the final volume of wort you collected? I am just trying to do some mental math here. If it was a five gallon batch, then that extra half pound of lactose gave you about 4 extra gravity points, and that won't ferment out. The wheat extract would also give you about another 4 points.

That still isn't enough to add so many points, so I am guessing you boiled down to a smaller volume?

Regardless, I would try to swirl up the yeast and maybe raise the fermentation temp a few degrees. If that doesn't cut it, then you could probably repitch. It should be finishing lower than 50s.

Going to give this a shot since I've had trouble with making stouts. I've also only tried making +\- 10% ones with bourbon soaked oak so that might have been overly aggressive for just starting to brew the style.

Brewed this a while ago and it just keep getting better from week to week. It has mellowed out very nicely indeed! Going to have to brew this again very soon! I'm new enough to brewing so I'm improving everytime( hopefully). Pressure is on for the next batch 😄. Cheers for the recipe

Brewed this up today. Hit 1.06 using extract since I was home with the little guys. Can't wait to give it a taste.

Thanks.

My batch with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla has been sitting around for 6 weeks. The problem is that I got an FG of 1.009 by hydrometer. Mash temps are coming out way low I guess and this had a healthy supply of yeast.

There's currently 1/2 pound of lactose and adding another pound with add 6 pts to the FG (5 gallons). That should put me back into sweet stout FG range (>1.012).

Should I do it or is 1.5# lactose even at low FG going to throw off the body?

I brewed this 5 weeks ago as a way to clean up some grain inventory and get a good stout on tap. Here's what I used:
6.0 lbs 2 row
1.0 lb Flaked Wheat
1.0 lb White Wheat
14.1 oz Caramel/Crystal 40
10 oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Carafa III
4 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Lactose
4 oz Rice Hulls
1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
Wyeast 1098 British Ale
Irish Moss

Mashed at 152
Primary: week 1 at 62, week 2 at 65, week 3 at 68.

My efficiency hit a couple points too low (1.057) and it finished a few points high (1.019). This beer is a TOTAL SUCCESS!! Creamy, chocolaty coffee with a light body. At 4.9%, almost a sessionable stout. Very happy how it came out!

Latest posts

Back