Anyone else a Ham Radio Operator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
KG6GUL here. Been licensed since 2001. Sometimes I think that I should test for my general and use the TS-50 that is sitting in storage. Have radios in all my vehicles and a couple HTs here and there.

I've been license No-code Tech since '94. I have thought about, and sometimes studied for, an upgrade, but things keep getting in the way. I actually took a General test years back, but the code test got in the way. I wasn't fully prepared to test, but they happened to have a test at a HAM swap I was at, so I jumped on it.

Now there is no code requirement, so I might bust out the learning materials and give it another shot. I don't have any HF equipment, but I have a friend who might let me borrow some stuff if I were able to use it.

Frankly, there isn't that much of a need for me to upgrade. Cell phones and Internet have really made HAM radio obsolete for a lot of people. My radios have sat in my room for years without being touched. I DO have an indea for mounting my Mobile 2-Meter rig in my Jeep, and should probably get working on that. It won't take much, other than setting up an antenna.

I've been debating on taking both the technichan and general at the same time. I've been studying the online tests for about 6 weeks now and have been getting 85-95 on both every time I try one. So all in all, I'm not that worried about passing the tests.

The only problems I have with getting my ticket is:

1) time to get on the radio and not pi$$ off SWMBO but not being around and

2) figuring out a good place for a 40m-10m antenna. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA so an outdoor antenna is a challenge. I have a fairly large two story house with a pretty big attic, but climbing around those trusses and not being able to see where I'm stepping is a huge worry because of the blown in insulation. So I'm not thrilled with putting an antenna up there.

I've always enjoyed listening to my Icom R75 (SWMBO thinks I'm a nerd but got me into brewing so it's not all bad) but I'm just not sure I want to invest the time and money for the equipment and not be able to use it very often.

I have been a ham since 2006. Got my tech license and been thinking about upgrading to general for a while now but haven't had the need. I am mostly on 2M for the commute to work. Otherwise I am usually off the air otherwise.

I live in a Community with a HOA, but I did put in a diamond X200A in my attic and the reach is ridiculous. It is at the peak with plenty of room to spare. I ran LMR400 and it is awesome.

I just have too many hobbies....brewing being my most time consuming, in a good way. I have to keep my 6 tap keezer full!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ham radio is very cool because it is so DIY friendly. I keep it around because it is a highly reliable method of communication when all other methods fail. I have been places where the cell towers are so overloaded there might as well be no service. Ham radio shines in those situations. It is also just a fun thing for me to do. I am always scanning 146.520 when I cruise down the interstate, and I do a lot of interstate driving (~30k miles per year).

For the HOA guys, I have seen some really creative installations of HF antennas all the way down to 160meters. It can be done with a little ingenuity.

The thing that bothers me is that I renewed recently and decided to join the ARRL as well. I get the QST mags, but there is literally NOTHING for the beginner in there. I mean, if you don't know anything about electronics and HAM radio to start with, you are screwed. Sure, by the time you get a license you should know SOMETHING, but there isn't anything to help a person who is not knowledgeable gain knowledge.

Even the quick and simple homebrew plans are pretty advanced for a true beginner. I think they need to have 1-2 columns each issue devoted to raw recruits.

I'm digging up an old-ish thread just to say another ham here. Been licensed since 1991, although I rarely use the radio and most of what I've learned by way of electronics has been put into good use building an electric brewery and a fermentation chamber (using an old chest freezer and a Raspberry Pi).

And I am also in an HOA. I have a trap dipole in the attic that works well enough on 10, 20, 40, and possibly 80, but my plasma TV interferes with anything 30-160 when it's on.

73 de KE8P

I've been debating on taking both the technichan and general at the same time. I've been studying the online tests for about 6 weeks now and have been getting 85-95 on both every time I try one. So all in all, I'm not that worried about passing the tests.

The only problems I have with getting my ticket is:

1) time to get on the radio and not pi$$ off SWMBO but not being around and

2) figuring out a good place for a 40m-10m antenna. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA so an outdoor antenna is a challenge. I have a fairly large two story house with a pretty big attic, but climbing around those trusses and not being able to see where I'm stepping is a huge worry because of the blown in insulation. So I'm not thrilled with putting an antenna up there.

I've always enjoyed listening to my Icom R75 (SWMBO thinks I'm a nerd but got me into brewing so it's not all bad) but I'm just not sure I want to invest the time and money for the equipment and not be able to use it very often.
One of my buddies had to temporarily move into his parents' house while he was searching for a new job. Wasn't going to put up a tower there, so he strung wire through the trees at the perimiter of the property. I forget how long he said he ended up having for an antenna.

I've wanted to get licensed for about 15 years; have a buddy that will help me study, and I think he can administer the test for me. Just need to get it done. My interest picked up a bit again after I joined the fire department - having one more communications tool at my disposal would be good. (We get dispatched as the county storm spotters, and last I knew, during severe weather, there was a team of volunteers that sat in the NWS office in Des Moines with ham radios to contact spotters out across the state)

K2ER, licensed in some form since 1980. I have spurts of interest, but it always wanes, and the last storm that took down my big wire antenna was the last straw. Been off air for a year or so. My thing is HF CW DXing and antenna building, not much of a rag chewer or VHF person.

I'm digging up an old-ish thread just to say another ham here. Been licensed since 1991, although I rarely use the radio and most of what I've learned by way of electronics has been put into good use building an electric brewery and a fermentation chamber (using an old chest freezer and a Raspberry Pi).

And I am also in an HOA. I have a trap dipole in the attic that works well enough on 10, 20, 40, and possibly 80, but my plasma TV interferes with anything 30-160 when it's on.

73 de KE8P

Haven't used my HAM equipment in a LONG while, but I do have plans to make an antenna...

An FM Radio antenna so I can pull in some quality ROCK stations while I'm working in the garage. I think I want to make a 3 element cubical quad. I'm debating between using 1/4" copper pipe with PVC spacers, or bare copper wire.

Extra here. Not sure exactly when I got my license but think I've renewed twice so maybe 20 years ago? The only thing I have left is a 2 meter mobile somewhere in a box in the garage (I think). I moved on to other hobbies long ago but my brother still logs into nets and is active. He lives in OH in the country and has a large beam and multiple HF radios.

One thing I like is how equipment has changed. Liked and disliked. I still appreciate the older "simpler" stuff.

But you know you can buy a $40 chinese handy-talkie that has a TON of features?

Revival.

Just bought a Yaesu HT with a MARS/CAP mod and a whip antenna and am planning on testing next month for a technician license. Not sure if I will get a mobile rig or not. I might get a mobile unit at some time and pull double duty as a home base station. Depends on how interested I get in it. Seems like fun for now and possibly handy when we go camping/hunting.

Funny, this resurrects itself as I'm running a pile of practice exams to finally bump up to General at the end of the month (theoretically).
Still haven't unpacked most of my gear since moving last year, beyond my AllstarLink node (43441). But that's pretty minimal. Fun though.

KK4VRW

Funny, this resurrects itself as I'm running a pile of practice exams to finally bump up to General at the end of the month (theoretically).
Still haven't unpacked most of my gear since moving last year, beyond my AllstarLink node (43441). But that's pretty minimal. Fun though.

KK4VRW

Do it! General is awesome! You get on HF and you're hooked. I started 3-4 years ago and jumped right in passing tech and general in one go. Then waited 3 years and got extra.
Right now I was kind of in a lull with radio because the solar cycle is at minimum and i just needed a break from it so I picked up brewing again. Now i'm in brewing overdrive. However, once I get these next 4-5 batches out of the way over the next few months i'll probably pickup radio again.
You can see my setup at https://www.qrz.com/db/w6wgf

When I took my exams there were books to study for each level. I put the hours in and found the tests easy, including extra. If they still have those books I’d highly recommend you get them. The hard part was the code. I was recovering from major surgery at the time which is the only way I could learn it. Today I couldn’t do 1 wpm [emoji38].

I'm studying to get my technician license now, just finding time to study is the hard part. I have a book and a couple of apps downloaded on my phone to help and can take the practice tests, so i can study whever I'm at.

You left out one of the best out there https://hamstudy.org
Very easy flashcards to use. Explanations on almost every question.
Tracks your progress and will hit you with missed questions more frequently than ones you get right, BUT if you get too many in a row wrong it starts throwing some of the ones you like back at you so you don't feel defeated.
Also has a fantastic mobile interface too.
I've talked to the guy who runs it online several times, good guy. He also makes the "Signal Sticks" flexible handheld antennas too.
Check this one out if you want to blow through the questions fast.

hC5FA8200

Nice! I will definitely check it out. I'm testing on April 7th so I need to get with it. Electrics is not my strong suit but I do ok. I'm an A&P and had to study the stuff before so I'm sure it'll come back pretty quick.

My radio showed up today. Yaesu FT-60R. I'm surprised how easy it is to pick up different frequencies and it's really clear. There's a couple frequencies with a fair amount of chatter. I was able to pick up some traffic stuff from the local military base ATC. I need to figure out what my local LEO station is to listen in. I've only had it for a couple hours but it's been good fun.

You left out one of the best out there https://hamstudy.org
Very easy flashcards to use. Explanations on almost every question.
Tracks your progress and will hit you with missed questions more frequently than ones you get right, BUT if you get too many in a row wrong it starts throwing some of the ones you like back at you so you don't feel defeated.
Also has a fantastic mobile interface too.
I've talked to the guy who runs it online several times, good guy. He also makes the "Signal Sticks" flexible handheld antennas too.
Check this one out if you want to blow through the questions fast.

Good luck listening to anything interesting anymore as far as LEO goes. All our systems around here in north texas switched to digital and digital encrypted. The ham radios make terrible scanners but they're okay in a pinch to listen to stuff.
Hopefully you'll find some local repeaters with friendly local hams.

Latest posts

Back