Need help building my brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDuck

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been brewing for a year and some time, just switched to all grain about 3 months ago (6 or 7 batches).. Currently I'm using 10g Bk, 10g cooler for MT and 8g aluminum pot for HLT.. I have two propane burners, but my setup is lacking.. Im constantly moving things because its all gravity fed.. I want to take the next step in automation.. What should I get?? 5 gallon batches is fine for the time being.. If I get 1 pump can I automate anything? Maybe my fly sparging? I just want to start walking that path and I don't know where to begin.. HELP!!??

i think automation of the brewing process is a big step, it is expensive and requires some knowledge of programming. What exactly do you want to improve in your process?, you said you move "things around" but with 3 tier gravity system you dont need to move anything (HLT on top tun in the middle and BK at the bottom)
Anyway pump is always a good addition, easy to control and helps in most of the systems, then you can look in to solenoid valves and control everything from arudino but then i think for automation electric brewery is the way to go.

I guess when I said automation I meant single teir with a pump .. Can u do single tier with 1 pump?

I guess when I said automation I meant single teir with a pump .. Can u do single tier with 1 pump?

Yes. You'll have to switch it around a few times though. You'll pump water, and then wort and then water and then wort.

if you have two burners in gravity system already (im guessing one of the burners is mounted higher than the rest) then you can probably add just one pump and make 2 tier and use one pump in one or two places (ie hlt to mash by gravity->mash to bk by pump->bk fermenter by pump or gravity), several combinations possible depending what is ur system right now

Back